Very Slow Gas Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emian

Reaction score
Any good tips on finding a really slow gas leak? I seem to be draining my CO2 down. I have a double tap with a primary and 2 secondary regulators - but I'll be damned if I can find the leak. I've tried wrapping PTFE tape on the threads, and tried to find it with washing liquid on the gas joints- bit it just won't show up.

If I turn off the outlet from the primary - should the pressure stay up on the high pressure gage - 0 'cause it slowly goes down.

I can't tighten the two secondaries any more because the gages will be pointing in different directions.

Any ideas? Bow can I test for leaks and stop them?

Ian

You've eliminated the connection at the tank. The regulators should hold pressure even with the tank shut off. That leaves the low pressure connections, the gages, the outlets and the regulator bodies. Gages are easy to damage. Since you have two regulators, you should be able to replace one gage with a plug and see if the other holds it's reading. Ditto for the outlets. I'd tackle the outlets first.

Mix up a little dish soap in warm water
and apply to all connections, threads, regulators, with a small paint brush.

Any leaks should show some bubbling.

jazzbass said:
Mix up a little dish soap in warm water
and apply to all connections, threads, regulators, with a small paint brush.

Any leaks should show some bubbling.

Worked for me, but I used a spray bottle.

It's funny that you posted this. My brilliant quick disconnect started leaking last night and I didn't know it. When I got up this morning, my CO2 bottle was empty and 2 kegs of beer had no pressure in them. The CO2 was recently filled and it cost me $18 to get it re-filled. Maybe the quick disconnect wasn't such a good idea after all. Now I have to figure out how to fix this.
2967-QuickDisconect.jpg

RichBrewer said:
It's funny that you posted this. My brilliant quick disconnect started leaking last night and I didn't know it. When I got up this morning, my CO2 bottle was empty and 2 kegs of beer had no pressure in them. The CO2 was recently filled and it cost me $18 to get it re-filled. Maybe the quick disconnect wasn't such a good idea after all. Now I have to figure out how to fix this.

FWIW, mine is on a quick-disco and it doesn't leak. El-cheapo one from Walmart too. Just make sure the clamps and everythign is tight before you trash it.

Dude said:
FWIW, mine is on a quick-disco and it doesn't leak. El-cheapo one from Walmart too. Just make sure the clamps and everythign is tight before you trash it.
I can feel the leak coming out where the male and female connect. :(
I was wondering if these connectors are designed for higher pressures.

Sometimes they just leak. Check and see if yours has an 'O' ring.
Possibly a drop or two of vegetable oil may fix it.

I would probably spring for better quality fittings from
a gas supply or store that sells gas grills.

The quality of the fittings from the discount stores aren't
the best quality. It doesn't really matter much when your
fittings leak on an impact wrench :)

Latest posts

Back