Rookie Question about kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELMOREK12

Reaction score
New guy here. If I were wanting to keg my beer instead of bottle it what additional steps, if any, in process do I need to add or alter. I also read somewhere that kegging allows you to add carbonation which speeds up the process. Is this true.

You can force-carb, but the beer still needs to age. Green beer is green beer, carbed or not.

Kegging does require a bit of an investment. Kegs themselves (cornie kegs) are cheap - anywhere from $15 - $35 a pop, depending on how much they've been reconditioned. You need a CO2 tank and a regulator. You need some way to keep the beer cold, an extra fridge. You'll need a CO2 regulator, some hoses and other small gear, and you'll either need some faucets or you can use picnic taps. There's really no additional steps (you can actually cut out a few things, like sanitizing four dozen bottles ;)), but it does require that you make a bit of an investment in equipment.

Take a look at the kegging section of Palmer's book (www.howtobrew.com), that should give you a basic idea of what's involved.

Latest posts

Back