Which March pump to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifast1

Reaction score
Hi all - I have a pump vendor located close by, so I went ahead and picked up a March 809-PL for my in-progress HERMS system, but now I'm wondering if the 809-PL-HS (same plastic impleller assembly but high-speed) is the more appropriate for wort recirculation. Obviously the HS model has more flow capacity, but i'm only going to have about a 2-foot head, running through 1/2 tubing all the way through. Is excessive aeration a concern with a higher-speed pump, or am I compeletly overthinking this? :drunk:

Even the lowest flow pump is more than what you need. You'll probably want a way to throttle the flow.

Thanks Dave - I'm probably a little gun-shy after finding out the hard way that an 7gpm aquarium pump just barely has enough ooomf to circulate through my 3/8" immersion chiller. I suppose it's possible to go overboard the other way, where the suction from the pump is so great that you actually compact the grain bed. I'm using a circular SST braid for lautering, so hopefully i'll be stuck-free.

FWIW, poking around the vendor sites, it looks like Northern Brewing sells the high-speed model, and I can't tell which model B3 sells.

Back