Opinion on modified Hoegaarden recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmaster-D

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a quick question about a Hoegaarden beer I'd like to brew. Since I'm an extract brewer for now, I was thinking of tryin to make a Hoegaarden clone using a wheat beer extract can, and just adding bitter orange and the spices in the last little while of heating the wort. The wheat beer extract, from a company called Morgan's, says that because of the way the extract is prepared, there's no need to actualy boil the wort, just heat it to sub-boiling temperatures. I would like anyones opinion on the matter, if they think adding bitter orange peel and corriander and such, at sub-boiling temperatures, if that would give me a decent hoegaarden-type brew, or if higher boiling temperatures are needed to get out the most flavour from the bitter orange and corriander spices, etc?
Thanks!

D.

ps- the amount of bitter orange/ corriander/ other spices I plan on using are the same as mentioned in a previous recipe thread in this section of the forum. I can re-post it if need be.

Hey, I've been curious about the recipe myself. I'm looking to brew this one next too, only with DME. There are a ton of recipes online, but as HB99 has pointed out, few followup comments.

Back