Completely psyched!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Minutes

Reaction score
Tested my chocolate, coffee, jalepeno stout this weekend and my knees went weak.

I was a little nervous going in because I've read so many "Chili peppers and beer don't go together" and "Bleh, yeck, phituii" and "This is the worst swill I've ever experienced" comments -- yet this thing knocked my socks off.

It had just the right coffee overtones and the chili peppers created a perfect little kick to the back of my throat on the way down. I dropped in a vanilla bean and some unsweetened bakers chocolate. Can't wait to test it again this weekend. And I'm astounded that this will only get better over the next 3 weeks before I bottle.

Just curious, what is the consensus on how long to condition?

Chocolate Coffee Vanilla Jalepeno Stout?

I have to say I think that sounds god-aweful, but it's you're beer, glad you like it. :mug:

wow, that's a lot going on there. I'm in the group of folks that don't dig chili beers, but more power to ya. Glad it's coming out well.

Sounds like a nice beer for a snow-day this winter.

I'd say that unless you have a complicated grain bill, the beer shouldn't need an exceptionally long conditioning period.

If the peppers are already out of the wort, it might be that the spice could mellow a bit.

I'd recommmend you save a 6 or 12 pack and forget about them for about 4-6 months and then see how really long conditioning affects the flavor.

... nice beer for a snow day ...

Exactly! Trying to somewhat emulate Hot Cocoa with Hot Peppers.

I'll probably condition for 2, 3 weeks (or until the first snow day, which ever comes first.) Storing for a long time sounds good too. I've been intrigued with oak barrel aged beers and will eventually do one or five.

Chocolate Coffee Vanilla Jalepeno Stout?

Welp, say it like that and I woulda probably avoid it too. May be I'll shorten it to Chocolate Jalepeno stout -- take the scare out of it!

I'm in the group(probably relatively small) that has habanero ale conditioning in the bottle right now!

Good on you mate! I'd like a look at the recipe myself. Did you just invent it from scratch? I went the weenie route of a light ale with roasted pepper flavor. First test and it certainly warms the belly!
6 peppers in 5 gallons....I eat the things! So I am no wimp when it comes to spice, but good god. Those 6 little peppers manage to still pack a punch in such dilution.

I grow my own chillies so it would be nice to use them.
I'm thinking I'd have to soak them in Vodka to sanitise. Then I could drink the Vodka afterwards. :D

orfy said:
I grow my own chillies so it would be nice to use them.
I'm thinking I'd have to soak them in Vodka to sanitise. Then I could drink the Vodka afterwards. :D

I grew my habs , they were some smoky oranges. Delicious.

On brewpastor's advice, I just roasted them and put them in the secondary. No problem with contamination. Dry "hab'd" for 2 1/2 weeks or so.

I should add that he advises only using heatless chiles.

I'd say call it Chocolate Cofeillapeno Beer

On another note... Dry Hab'ed had me rollling in the floor in my cube!

It's an extract recipe, but I am sure someone could convert it to AG

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 29.25 %
6.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 43.88 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 14.80 %
0.75 lb Crystal (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.48 %
0.50 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 3.29 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.29 %
1.25 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (30 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
0.25 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (5 min) Hops 0.6 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Vanilla Bean (Secondary 2.0 weeks) Misc
3.00 items dried Ancho peppers (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
3.00 items fresh Serrano peppers (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
3.00 items fresh Hot Thai peppers (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb roasted jalepenos (Boil 20.0 min) Misc
4 tblspoons "milled" coffee beans (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
6.00 oz Bakers Unsweetened Chocolate (Secondary 2.0 weeks) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) [Starter 0 ml] Yeast-Ale

I continuously peppered the Serrano and thai peppers, about 1/2 of one every 5 minutes. Threw in the roasted jalepenos with about 20 mins to go. They're from my garden. Usually the stuff in my garden is used for chilies -- I call it my chili garden -- and I typically grow all sorts of peppers and other herbs. (I'm planning an Oregano pale ale probably next to use up the rest of the fresh oregano before too much frost arrives.)

Feel free to be critical; although I can't really take credit/blame as it is a variation of sorts from a choco stout I found on this site. I'll edit in the link when I can find it again.

cheezydemon said:
... 6 peppers in 5 gallons ...
Wow, That MUST be smokin. I would have loved to try it. Even with my chilies I use just one habanero (+ 3 or 4 jalepenos) and the chilie quickly becomes to hot for most guests. But I'm not complaining.

It is delicious. I have enjoyed a couple cold, but I have also used it twice in the last week for cooking.
I took a cup or so of hab beer and added tobasco, onion and garlic powder and salt to make a killer wing sauce. Last night I marinated a filet in hab beer and jalapeno powder and salt. It was incredible!

Back