Confused about when to rack to bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattne421

Reaction score
My apa has been fermenting well in the primary for about two weeks. havent taken a gravity reading but when is the average amount of time to leave it in the primary before i rack it to the bottling bucket. (i dont have a secondary fermenter just the bottling bucket)

My apa has been fermenting well in the primary for about two weeks. havent taken a gravity reading but when is the average amount of time to leave it in the primary before i rack it to the bottling bucket. (i dont have a secondary fermenter just the bottling bucket)

Once the gravity hasn't changed over at least three days, and the beer is clear (or at least clearing), then it's ok to bottle.

alright so i dont let it sit in the bottling bucket pretty much at all? just to prime it for bottling?

alright so i dont let it sit in the bottling bucket pretty much at all? just to prime it for bottling?

Same day works. But if you have the means (and patience) to chill that sealed bottling bucket for a week "cold crash", the beer will be clearer at bottling time. And if you don't have the frige space to cold crash a bucket then just bottle the beer right after you rack it to the bottling bucket. Time fixes a lot of things, especially beer clarity.

Cheers!

EDIT: EXPERIENCED BOTTLERS PLEASE HELP OUT HERE. If you cold crash the bottling bucket, hold out on the sugar addition. I believe you would have to let the beer warm back to fermenting temps at the end of the cold crash and gently mix in the priming sugar solution. I only keg, not smart on bottling.

What I do is add 3/4 cups of corn sugar and transfer to the bucket( I put a tap on it and then I put a bottling wond up it. It goes in tight). Then I gently sir it then I open tap and start bottling. the wond will close because of the pressure. Then I cap it put it at 22 or 25 c heat for 3 weeks then chill and drink.

Back