Make up air and vent system questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsguitar

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out my venting system for when I move my brewery into my basement laundry room. It will be electric, so just steam needs to be vented.

I bought a 6" valueline centrifugal fan from a hydro place and was planning on venting it through my dryer vent via a reducer and elbow that I'd just switch out with the dryer whenever I brew. The elbow will be a little lower than the fan but I figure when I'm done brewing I can just dump any condensate from the elbow when I go to reattach the dryer hose.

re: hood. I'm leaning towards making something at this point since larger hoods are expensive and have a bunch of stuff I don't need.

This brings me to the issue of make up air. My basement is finished--mostly, the gas furnace and gas water heater are in a walled off section right across from the laundry room (6 feet maybe). There is a air vent/intake I guess you'd call it to the furnace room wall right across from the laundry room for the hvac. The ceiling isnt finished, so air could easily move along the joists between rooms. Located a few steps up in-between both rooms is the basement door leading to the rest of the house.

Also in the middle of the basement, but the far other end of both rooms is a window. There's also a window in the laundry room right next to the dryer vent and a window at the far other end in the furnace room side.

I'm trying to understand where the best place to get make up air is and how to get it where I need it so I don't suck down flue gasses. Would just keeping the basement door to the rest of the house open be sufficient? Should I open the window at the far end of the basement or find a way to get air from the window in the laundry room? Also, there are no windows on one side because this is a crazy early sixties split level. The house also leaks air like crazy if that helps.

I'm confused. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If your house was built in the 60's as mine is, there is plenty of leakage in the house. Its not sealed as tightly as new construction.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that might be the case. I mean, I still have the original windows and everything.
:mug:

Back