Simple lawn mower IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackgaurd_Brewing

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05/Nottingham
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
75 (tinseth)
Color
3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 Days @ 72*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days @ 68*
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Amazing grapefruit flavor, just a little bitter, nice subdued maltiness.
Ingredients:
------------
9.00 lb CMC Pilsner Malt (1-2 SRM)
0.50 lb Carapils/Dextrine malt (10.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Amarillo [8.60%] (90 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.60%] (30 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.60%] (18 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.60%] (3 min)

0.75 oz Nugget [12.2%] (Dry Hop 7 days)

Mash at 154 for 60min.

Prime with 3.6 Oz light DME.

I know this isnt truly a IPA by the BJCP guidelines, but this is where it best fit!

I did a single sparge on this batch since I didnt want a high og beer. I wanted something that would be ready quick with low ABW for those hot summer days.

A few notes:
I left no hop trub in the BK, I use a immersion chiller and had great cold break, but it still all went into the fermenter.
I originially added the Nugget dry hop because I had a little more headspace than I planned, however it seemed to really amplify the fruitiness of the Amarillo.
I fermented a little warm intentionally to get some of the fruity esthers to come foreword from the yeast blend.
I used a pack of us-05 and a pack of nottingham, even though this was excessive I wanted a rapid fermentation and couldnt pick, so I just used both!

I couldnt be happier with the way it turned out, easy recipe without a complicated ingredients list. The only thing I would change is to prime with corn sugar, I expected this to be carbed up in 2 weeks, it took 3 and a half to carb up, but its awesome fresh!

Yeah, too bitter to call it an APA. I've found that pushing the IBUs a little in lower gravity beers can be nice in hot weather.

Back