Greetings from Wisconsin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorklord

Reaction score
I'm just getting into homebrewing, and immediately after buying all of my equipment and 2 extract kits, my doctor told me I have celiacs disease, which means I have to stay away from gluten!

I've heard that there's a whole section here on GF brewing, so hopefully I'll be able to learn something, and maybe someday even contribute some knowledge of my own...

I wonder if there are any other GF brewers in my area (SW Wisconsin)?

I don't know anything about GF brewing but there are definitely some discussions on these forums about it. Where in WI are you? I have relatives in LaCrosse, Gays Mills, and I used to camp at Prairie du Chien all the time.

I'm in La Crosse, actually, and have family in Prairie (and basically every other surrounding town.)

Have you ever been to teh Potosi Brewery? My parents recently brought me 4 bombers from there. I would have to say they were ok beers but not something I would make a major effort in acquiring again. I think doing their brewery tour would be interesting, I hear they either still use or used to use a cave to do their lagering in. As far as I know, they are located somewhere along the river between Prairie and LaCrosse.

I'm in La Crosse, actually, and have family in Prairie (and basically every other surrounding town.)

I pass through La Crosse a few times a year on my way to my in-laws. Any good Wisconsin beers that I should pick up sometime that I might not be able to get here in Michigan?

I pass through La Crosse a few times a year on my way to my in-laws. Any good Wisconsin beers that I should pick up sometime that I might not be able to get here in Michigan?

A lot of people like the beers from New Glarus, and I liked the stuff from Pearl Street Brewery. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be trying a whole lot of local beers from here out...

I'm headed home to Illinois in May and have my dad hunting for New Glarus Dancing Man (a seasonal wheat), Tyranena Bitter Woman IPA, and any Ale Asylum beers he can find, although I think Ale Asylum is mostly just on tap in Madison but I could definitely be wrong about that. But yeah, New Glarus' Spotted Cow is damn good beer as well.

By the way, does anyone know exactly what style of beer Spotted Cow is? I remember the label saying something about it being a farmhouse ale??? What exactly do they have going on in that beer?

I've seen some bottles of ale ayslum Ambergeddon in the grocery store near milwaukee before. So you can find some bottles of it around and not just on tap in Madison

Welcome :mug:
I regularly get New Glarus brews, especially the Belgian Red, and have seen a few of the Ale Asylum beers in bottles.

Welcome :mug:
I regularly get New Glarus brews, especially the Belgian Red, and have seen a few of the Ale Asylum beers in bottles.
I've never seen the Belgian Red before. My wife really likes New Glarus, but she usually goes for Spotted Cow or Fat Squirrel.

I like your avatar pic, and I see some others of the bike in your profile. What track is that at (Road America, by any chance?)

I've never seen the Belgian Red before. My wife really likes New Glarus, but she usually goes for Spotted Cow or Fat Squirrel.

I like your avatar pic, and I see some others of the bike in your profile. What track is that at (Road America, by any chance?)

I believe the track in my avatar is actually Blackhawk Farms Raceway. I've been to RA many times, actually have 3 track days (at least) there this year.

I believe the track in my avatar is actually Blackhawk Farms Raceway. I've been to RA many times, actually have 3 track days (at least) there this year.
Awesome! A track day is on my 'someday' list. (I fear that a single trackday is going to very easily turn into an expensive habit.) I've been going to RA for the AMA races every year.

I think Spotted Cow is an unfiltered wheat? I could be wrong, since it's been so long since I've had that tasty tasty brew.

I think Spotted Cow is an unfiltered wheat? I could be wrong, since it's been so long since I've had that tasty tasty brew.
Their website says "Naturally Cloudy Farmhouse Ale":

Cask conditioned ale has been the popular choice among brews since long before prohibition. We continue this pioneer spirit with our Wisconsin farmhouse ale. Brewed with flaked barley and the finest Wisconsin malts. We even give a nod to our farmers with a little hint of corn.

Naturally cloudy we allow the yeast to remain in the bottle to enhance fullness of flavors, which cannot be duplicated otherwise. Expect this ale to be fun, fruity and satisfying. You know you're in Wisconsin when you see the Spotted Cow.

Latest posts

Back