Hop Tea for sweet beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemonkey

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Pale Ale a few weeks ago, and I think I had some old, bad hops. They smelled fine, but my beer is extremely sweet. It's like the hops had no alpha acids.

I'm wondering if I can brew up a super-contrated hop tea by boiling some hops on the stove and then add it to my beer? I'm thinking just a cup or two of water. I know the utilization will suck, but maybe I can add enough bitterness to make it drinkable.

The basic problem is you max out IBU rather quickly. Boil 1/2 oz. of a high AA hop in 2 quarts of water for 30 minutes should put it at 90 IBU. That would boost your batch 9 IBU or so.

david_42 said:
The basic problem is you max out IBU rather quickly. Boil 1/2 oz. of a high AA hop in 2 quarts of water for 30 minutes should put it at 90 IBU. That would boost your batch 9 IBU or so.

As well as the additional water dropping the gravity a little bit... This should balance the beer a little bit more...

Latest posts

Back