Can my yeast be saved

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
I have a batch that has fermented out with Wyeast 1469 that looks to have an infection. It's the white film pellicle sort but so far the beers seems drinkable. Im going to bottle this batch up asap but I was wondering if its possible to save the yeast as I don't belive they are continuing to sell 1469 and getting good liquid yeast here takes a couple of months and I'm not much of a fan of S-O4 at the moment :mad: Anyone got any suggestions for how to kill/remove the bacteria without destroying my yeast?

Reusing that yeast will likely just lead to future infected beers...sorry :(

You could try bottle harvesting it. I successfully did with two 22oz Rogue's recently. Lots of threads on it here, but:

1. Pour all but 2 ouces or so into a glass and drink
2. Do it again with another bomber.
3. tinfoil the bottle and put in the fridge to get flat
4. Make a starter, 2 cups water 1/2 cup dme.
5. Pitch your yeast samples
6. Spin it if you have a stir plate. If not let it ferment out. 2-3 days and cold crash
7. Make another starter. 4 cups water 1 cup dme.
8. Decant and pitch to your larger starter.
9. Spin or let ferment out.
10. Brew

Anyone experienced with acid washing? Wouldn't that kill off the bacteria? Of course, you would need to pitch almost immediately afterward. If it was me, I would just throw it out.

If your beer is drinkable, then the infection is not that bad. Most of the bacteria should be in the beer. Are you washing yeast now? If you continue washing the yeast and just pour off more of the beer than you usually do, the bacterial level should remain manageable until you can get some fresh yeast. When re-using the yeast I would make sure to decant all of the liquid, and add fresh water. I would order some fresh stuff now though.

If you really want some more 1469, maybe someone can send you a vial from somewhere else?

thanks for the replies.

I think ill try washing it and see how that goes, might give the bottle yeast harvesting a try too but since I dont know at what point it got infected this might just end up with more of the same. Ill give both plenty of time to ferment out then see how its looking but I'm not too confident I can save this yeast. Still worse things can happen and this is definitely a lesson to be on top of my game when sanitising, a painful one though.

:(

I've been looking to find some info on using chemicals to kill any bacteria without harming the yeast too a level that would leave them useless. Does anyone have any advice on the subject? The level of infection seems to be quite low since there doesn't seen to be mush of an impact on flavour if that will make any difference?

The only chemicals I know of would not be good to ingest, so if you used them you would need to ferment the yeast many times after treating, and throwing out the beer until the antibiotic was gone. Not worth it for some yeast.

Do you have access to a pH meter? Acid washing is not too complicated if you don't mind a bit of research.

The problem is that where he is in New Zealand he doesn't have the luxury of a LHBS around the corner.

Back