banana wine video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, looks like a simmering pot on the stove! I'd definitely wait until the active fermentation is done before you move it. Recipe??!!

Just curious why you would take a gravity reading if fermentation is that visible? I don't know anything about making wine. (except Apfelwein)

I got this from yooperbrew. The only thing I changed was I made a 6 gallon batch and upped the bananas to 25 pounds, and dropped the OG to only 1.082 where she calls for 1.097 I think. I wanted more of an intense banana flavor and milder ( made it once before and haven't tasted it yet but the samples were intense) alcohol...... It is without a doubt the nastiest looking stuff I have made.

BANANA WINE (2) [Heavy Bodied]

3-1/2 lb. bananas
1 lb. chopped golden raisins
2 lb. granulated sugar
1-1/4 tsp. acid blend
1 tsp. pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp. grape tannin
1 gallon water
wine yeast and nutrient
Slice bananas into thin discs, leaving skins on fruit. Put into grain-bag, tie top, and place in 6 pints water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove grain-bag to bowl to catch drippings while pouring liquor over sugar in primary fermentation vessel and stirring well to dissolve sugar. Add acid blend, pectic enzyme and tannin, stirring again. When grain-bag cools, squeeze to extract as much liquid as possible and add liquid and drippings to liquor, discarding pulp. When liquor cools to 70 degrees fahrenheit, add yeast and nutrient. Cover and set in warm place for seven days, stirring daily. Pour into secondary fermentation vessel, fit airlock, and move to cooler place, leaving undisturbed for two months. Siphon off sediment, add chopped raisins, and add water to bring to one gallon. Ferment another four months. Rack and allow to clear. Rack again and bottle. May taste after six months, but matures at two years. [Adapted from passed-on recipe, source unknown, taken from Jack Keller's site]

What color of bananas do you use? I know that they go from starchy to sugary, so I presume brown would be easiest for the yeast to eat.

Gottcha! Did you taste the sample? I don't know if I would have with that active a fermentation.

Edit: just noticed the 25 lbs of bananas. WOW
actually i did take a tiny sip of it. It was actually not bad considering what it looks like.

What color of bananas do you use? I know that they go from starchy to sugary, so I presume brown would be easiest for the yeast to eat.
if you will look up yoops recipe on here she says she used some that were black they were so over ripe. I just used ripe ones..... A buddy asked me to make this so he payed for everything. I mae it 6 gallons so I could snag a few bottles to put in the basement for a year or two.

Yeast LOVE bananas. It's a pretty wild ferment.

I'd recommend putting it in secondary when the SG gets in the 1.010-1.020 range. Probably in a couple of days, from the way it's going!

Back