UK Peat Moss grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotBMP

Reaction score
So I was listening to a podcast recently and ever so briefly they mentioned some Peat Moss grain used for flavoring matching that of Islay Scotch. I love that smokey peat flavor so I was intrigued with what recipe would allow for something like this flavor to be the stand out and not an accompanyment like a smoked stout or something. I was looking along the lines of a nice basic Pale Ale? Thoughts or has anyone ever worked with this grain before?

I have used peat smoked malt once before in a smoked porter with it being 2.5% of the grain bill. There was definitely a subtle smokiness that was evident and complimentary to the porter. I've read numerous times that a little goes a long way when using peat smoked malt, as its character is very strong and dominant when used in beer (say no more than 5% of the grain bill). I wouldn't think that a hoppy and smokey beer would be a good pairing, however I can't say I've tried any before so there's only one way to find out

Back