Amounts of Corn Sugar for Bottle carbinating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianroberts

Reaction score
OK I keg and Bottle,recently I've had a few problems with bottled beer carbing up.I use beer smith software and it tells me how much sugar to use or how many lbs of CO2 to use at say 40 degrees,but most of my bottled beer sits at room temps,but than I store it in a frig at about 40.Plus some of my yeast (belgiums wont ferment below about 63 degrees) so what should I place the temp value at on beersmith to find the proper amount of corn sugar to use,Kind of confused here!......B....

I believe the temp is the temperature of the beer at the time of bottling. Basically, it is trying to determine how much residual CO2 is in the beer, higher temps mean less CO2 in solution and lower temps the opposite. Once it is capped the CO2 is stuck in there, so temp doesn't matter for the calculation.

However, as you probably know, you do need to leave it at room temp until the yeast has eaten the sugar and farted out your desired CO2.

My cellar keeps the fermenters at 64F after fermentation is over, but my beer warms to around 69F as I rack into the bottling bucket and bottle in my kitchen. So I use 69F in the calculator.

I use the primary fermentation temp. Lagers ferment lower and seem to have more CO2 in them at bottling, the inverse is true for ales.

Latest posts

Back