Pin Lock Posts wont loosen...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffewl

Reaction score
I've got a pin lock deep socket, but I about broke my hands trying to loosen the posts. I just bought these kegs and they had what smelled like Sprite or 7up in them, so maybe the syrup has solidified and is keeping the posts from turning... I have no idea. All I know is tried until I wore myself out and cannot get these posts off. I soaked the kegs with hot oxyclean but have not tried to turn them upside down to soak the posts... I also read about trying to hit it with a propane torch for a couple of seconds, then trying to loosen, and repeating... are there any more ideas out there?

Try putting very hot water with your cleaning solution, then running it through the out post and see if you can loosen it that way. Collect it in another keg. If it works, then you can pressurize the collecting key, then hook the beer line from that to the gas line of the stuck keg, to try to loosen that one.

Finally got them loose. Figured I would post what I did just in case anyone else runs into this problem. I used a "cheater pole" (a 3'-0" piece of pvc I had laying around) and placed it on the end of my ratchet to give me a little more leverage. I sat on the top of the corny to keep it from moving and used the cheater pole to get max torque on the post. Took quite a turn, but they finally loosened.

Thanks for the reply though hercher... if that attempted had not worked, yours was next.

Back