Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Haier 7.1 has two screws. One is a small screw, almost jewelers size on the same side as the wires. The other is hidden under a sticker on the underside of the control and looks like the correct adjustment in the other photos. I am not sure what the small screw does, if anything.

Anyone have a guess?

-Space

I just bought the Haier 7.1 CU Ft model from Costco the other day. Last night I removed the thermostat through the front panel and located what I believe to have been the coarse adjustment screw. I began turning it clockwise until it seemed that it was either all the way in or stripped. I was only able to turn it a few times before it seemed like I couldn't turn it anymore. It's still at freezing temps. I'm pretty sure the screw is now stripped out...it seems to be made out a very soft metal. I was very careful when making the adjustments, but to no avail. I'll likely have to buy an external temperature controller.

No luck with the 5 cu ft Holiday Freezer. I tried switching out the short screw with a longer one that would allow me to screw it in farther, but that didn't seem to work. When I screwed it in to a certain point there would be a click and the chiller would shut off and not come back on, even with the power on and the setting to 7...

So I think it's time to give in and buy a temperature controller...

the screw under the tape is the one, ignore all others. Be patient when adjusting, give it a few few turns then wait for adjustment, like hours. I was very impatient trying, only waited a few minutes after each adjust, ending up back out screw and couldnt get it all back together. it will work, just have patience grasshopper. or spend the $$ and get the ext controller it works too, and immediately...

Have a thermostat inside. When it hits the desired temp, turn the screw slowly till the click is heard. Brew network did a radio bit about it

Wear rubber gloves and dont blame me if u get shocked or worse. It can be dangerous

Suggestion: I'm pretty sure the connections for these things are pretty generic. Is there a 'standard' thermostat that is known to be easy to adjust to these temperatures, that could be purchased cheap as a repair part, and wired in to replace the original?

Maybe a refrigerator thermostat in place of the freezer thermostat? Seems like there ought to be a cheap generic model that would work.

-kenc

Success with a 5 cu ft Holiday (newer model) with the full depth compressor bump. Backed the screw all the way out which was bad, oops. The screw is located on the bottom of the housing under the label at 90' to the fine adjusting knob.

Got a close look at the thermostat internals in the effort to re-seat the screw and found that 'righty-tighty' was the way to go to increase temp. Set the fine adjust to "1", then turned the course adjusting screw all the way in carefully. The course adjustment pulls a spring that is attached to a lever arm which increases the pressure on the diaphragm.

Suggestion: I'm pretty sure the connections for these things are pretty generic. Is there a 'standard' thermostat that is known to be easy to adjust to these temperatures, that could be purchased cheap as a repair part, and wired in to replace the original?

Maybe a refrigerator thermostat in place of the freezer thermostat? Seems like there ought to be a cheap generic model that would work.

-kenc

There is no screw on mine. Swapping it out might be cheaper than a controller.

Any one try to buy the part?

Did this to my 5 cu haier freezer. Stuck a 6 gal carboy in with a thermo in the filled jug. Temp holding steady at 40 degrees. Should I be happy with that temp or try to shoot a little higher? I have a few more turns until the screw stops.

I've got the 7.1 cubic foot from Costco. When I backed the screw out (lefty loosy) a few turn it dropped the temp down to -8 F. then I screwed it in all the way and the highest it would get to was 25 F. So it looks like I will continue to use the Johnson controller. If anyone figures out another way around it then let me know.

@Mhill2079 said:

I've got the 7.1 cubic foot from Costco.

That's a bummer. Just bought that some one last weeked at the Costco here in Indy. Looks like I wont need to try out the internal tstat trick.

I've got the 7.1 cubic foot from Costco. When I backed the screw out (lefty loosy) a few turn it dropped the temp down to -8 F. then I screwed it in all the way and the highest it would get to was 25 F. So it looks like I will continue to use the Johnson controller. If anyone figures out another way around it then let me know.

Has anyone with a screw that has insufficient adjustment range tried a longer screw with the same thread pitch?

All that's being done is mechanically moving contacts relative to one another, so this may work if the original screw doesn't.

Worth the low cost to try I'd guess.

I bought a 13CF kenmore and had no problem getting +40F backed out the course screw 1/4 turn and now have 36F

Kenmore is the way to go.

Just bought a Frigidaire 8.8 c. ft. freezer from Lowes, $287.00. The best part is, to adjust the corase adjustment to >32 degrees I didn't even have to remove the panel! Just pried off the fine adjustment knob, used neddle-nose pliers to pull off the tape covering up the coarse adjustment, and used a flathead jeweler's screwdriver to make the adjustment. IT CAN'T GET ANY EASIER THAN THIS!

Has anyone had a success with a 5 cf freezer? If yes, what brand and model? I'm looking into buying one. Awesome thread!

Just bought a Frigidaire 8.8 c. ft. freezer from Lowes, $287.00. The best part is, to adjust the corase adjustment to >32 degrees I didn't even have to remove the panel! Just pried off the fine adjustment knob, used neddle-nose pliers to pull off the tape covering up the coarse adjustment, and used a flathead jeweler's screwdriver to make the adjustment. IT CAN'T GET ANY EASIER THAN THIS!

Hi

The 8.8 Frigidaire and the Kenmore both come out of the same Electrolux plant in Minnesota. I suspect that the parts in them are identical.

Bob

I'm on day two of trying. after day one going all the way in and not getting it warmer than -2 c I went the other way and it fell out so after a home brew I pulled it apart to work out how it worked and moded slightly to get more adjustment and now after 14 hrs I've got it up to 1c let's hope I can get it right tomorrow

So I could use some help. I'm trying to do this with a whirlpool upright freezer and having some trouble. I thought I found the adjustment screw but it doesn't seem to be working. I've tightened it all the way down and ran overnight = below freezing. I've unscrewed all the way and ran overnight = below freezing. (I'm just sticking a cup of water in there at the moment and waiting for it to freeze as a very coarse adjustment test... and it's freezing every time thus far). Every time the main thermostat dial (big plastic ring dial) was set to 1).

Attached are some pics. The small hole in the pictured part is where I'm making adjustment. There's a small flat-head screw in there which I'm assuming was the coarse adjustment. Am I wrong? is this not the coarse adjustment?

Frz01.jpg

Frz02.jpg

Frz03.jpg

So I could use some help. I'm trying to do this with a whirlpool upright freezer and having some trouble. I thought I found the adjustment screw but it doesn't seem to be working. I've tightened it all the way down and ran overnight = below freezing. I've unscrewed all the way and ran overnight = below freezing. (I'm just sticking a cup of water in there at the moment and waiting for it to freeze as a very coarse adjustment test... and it's freezing every time thus far). Every time the main thermostat dial (big plastic ring dial) was set to 1).

Attached are some pics. The small hole in the pictured part is where I'm making adjustment. There's a small flat-head screw in there which I'm assuming was the coarse adjustment. Am I wrong? is this not the coarse adjustment?

Hi

That's the magic screw. Grab a cheap thermometer and toss it in there. It will help a lot in figuring out what's going on.

If you have one of the thermostat's that don't make it, a STC-1000 off of eBay is only about $17 delivered. It's pretty easy to wire one in right there in the chamber where the existing thermostat is located.

Bob

Why this tread is not a "Sticky" is a mystery.
Every future Keezer builder would benefit.
This should be bumped everyday

I found the coarse adjust screw on my freezer's thermostat. I have turned it & found that I can adjust the set temperature higher. There seems to be a point of no return, though, at which point the thermostat will not trip the compression to engage & turn on. I have been able to adjust it up to 35-38. I give a 1/4 turn more on the screw, plug it in, & let it sit for several hours. When I return, it is 62F inside the freezer & compressor is not running.

Suggestions?

Matthewjscott said:
Has anyone just tried to get a thermostat for a refrigerator and replace the freezer thermostat?

At that point you might as well just buy a cheap controller like the STC-1000 and give yourself very precise control over the temperature.

Hi

If you go with a fridge thermostat you would need one that fits in the same location as the existing freezer thermostat. They aren't the most standard of parts so that's going to be a little tough. Next you need one with a probe length that matches up with the tube in your freezer. Again not a lot of standardization. Since the tube is rigid you don't have a lot of fiddling room with it.

Much easier to spend $20 or so on a STC-1000.

Bob

OK... I think I've found what I need to make the adjustments, but I'd like to get some more opinions before I start messing with stuff.

I'm working with a Kenmore 675-19512 OJ Freezer, if that helps.

2012-06-17.jpg

What's the general consensus... is this the screw I'm looking for?

photo.jpg

OK... I think I've found what I need to make the adjustments, but I'd like to get some more opinions before I start messing with stuff.

I'm working with a Kenmore 675-19512 OJ Freezer, if that helps.

2012-06-17.jpg

What's the general consensus... is this the screw I'm looking for?

photo.jpg

Hi

Yes that is the magic screw you are after. Run it out a couple turns and see what happens.

Bob

Holiday 7 cu ft bought from Lowes last weekend. Read this thread before I purchased in the hopes it would work. Unfortunately, I have adjusted the screw all the way in, and all the way out (or almost all the way), with the fine adjustment screw at both 1 and 7. Every setting still freezes water inside. Posted pictures of my thermostat below. The screw that I have been adjusting is on the top of the thermostat. I've looked all over for another one, but no luck. Any help?

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

Holiday 7 cu ft bought from Lowes last weekend. Read this thread before I purchased in the hopes it would work. Unfortunately, I have adjusted the screw all the way in, and all the way out (or almost all the way), with the fine adjustment screw at both 1 and 7. Every setting still freezes water inside. Posted pictures of my thermostat below. The screw that I have been adjusting is on the top of the thermostat. I've looked all over for another one, but no luck. Any help?

That is not the screw. It is on the other side -- on the bottom -- underneath the tape.

Hi

Yes that is the magic screw you are after. Run it out a couple turns and see what happens.

Bob

Just to follow up... I finally got a chance to play around with this the other day. Freezer is currently running at a steady 36.3º F

Thanks for your help! :mug:

A related question:

I'm pretty sure that compressors for freezers are not supposed to cycle too often. I think the standard advice is that the compressor should not turn back on for at least 5 minutes after turning off. Correct?

If a freezer has electronic control, they can program this in, but for mechanical thermostats, I assume they just rely on the mechanical hysteresis of the thermostat. Correct?

I'm controlling my freezer with an external temp controller, and which has adjustable hysteresis. Also, the real hysteresis of the system can be adjusted by adjusting the thermal mass of the sensor (strapping it to a keg etc.). I would like to mimic the hysteresis of the factory configuration, so that I don't wear my freezer out too fast. I just don't know what I should be shooting for. Some people report hysteresis of as much as 20 degrees, but again, it just depends what you measure, because the air temperature is going to swing WAY more than the kegs. I think a better way to quantify hysteresis is how often the freezer kicks on and then how long it runs when it does.

For those who are using mechanical thermostats, how often does the freezer cycle on, and when it does cycle on, how long does it run, and then how long does it stay off? If I know that, then I can adjust my temp controller to match, either by adjusting the controller itself or modifying what I strap the sensor to.

Interesting thread, thanks for expanding my knowledge. It's probably obvious to most, but I'll say it anyway: this technique is most appropriate for holding conditioned beer at serving temps. I can't see myself spending 2 days adjusting to raise the temp 10 degrees in the middle of a lager ferment.

BetterSense said:
A related question:

I'm pretty sure that compressors for freezers are not supposed to cycle too often. I think the standard advice is that the compressor should not turn back on for at least 5 minutes after turning off. Correct?

If a freezer has electronic control, they can program this in, but for mechanical thermostats, I assume they just rely on the mechanical hysteresis of the thermostat. Correct?

I'm controlling my freezer with an external temp controller, and which has adjustable hysteresis. Also, the real hysteresis of the system can be adjusted by adjusting the thermal mass of the sensor (strapping it to a keg etc.). I would like to mimic the hysteresis of the factory configuration, so that I don't wear my freezer out too fast. I just don't know what I should be shooting for. Some people report hysteresis of as much as 20 degrees, but again, it just depends what you measure, because the air temperature is going to swing WAY more than the kegs. I think a better way to quantify hysteresis is how often the freezer kicks on and then how long it runs when it does.

For those who are using mechanical thermostats, how often does the freezer cycle on, and when it does cycle on, how long does it run, and then how long does it stay off? If I know that, then I can adjust my temp controller to match, either by adjusting the controller itself or modifying what I strap the sensor to.

Mine will run for 15mins then shut of for ruffly 2 1/2 hrs

Cheers

Sweet; thanks for the info. Right now my system runs for 4 minutes then stays off for about a half-hour. I think I will add some hysteresis by putting the temp sensor in a glass of water and see how that goes.

Anyone else have another data point?

I'm wanting to try this on my Holiday 5.0 freezer but am nervous about freezing my kegs that I currently have inside it. I'm controlling the temp right now with an ebay temp controller, but I need to steal it for my new fermentation fridge. What is my risk is freezing my kegged beer while messing with the screw adjustments?

Latest posts

Back