priming hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod

beer -just brew it
Reaction score
i finally decided to try for a sparkling cider instead of sulphating and back sweetening with frozen concentrate as i decided i like the cider at a final gravity of 1.00(yes i had added extra sugar at the start(1.063) and 2 extra cans of frozen concentrate during the ferment).

for priming would 1 can of frozen concentrate equal 4 oz of dextrose??
any ideas if it would be too much (bottle bombs) or too little?
i would like to bottle this weekend so i can start the aging process as this project was started oct 22 and i would like it to be ready by spring.

I have no idea- but I was wondering about your o.g. and which yeast you used. If your o.g. was 1.063 and you added 2 cans of concentrate, you have a very high alcohol cider. (I'm assuming you're doing 5 gallons). My thought is to thaw the concentrate you're considering, and take the s.g. of it, or look at the label and see how much sugar there is in it. That would tell you two things- how high your o.g. actually was (since you added two cans of concentrate) and if one can of concentrate would be right for the priming sugar.

The reason I wondered about the yeast, is if your o.g. was, say, 1.130 (it wouldn't have been that high, but this is just for example), you would have exceeded the alcohol tolerance of champagne yeast and you wouldn't be able to prime. I don't think this is an issue here, but you never know.

I think this sounds really, really good! I love the idea of priming with the concentrate. Let us know what you decide to do- we're all waiting to see how it turns out.

Lorena

i used nottingham yeast and my last sample was still slightly carbonated
the ingredients on the concentrate lists sugars as 26 grams/63 ml, the can is 355 ml which is 26x(355/63) = 146 grams
28 grams equals one ounce therfore can contains 5.2 ounces of sugars(146/28)
therefore i should be safe adding the full can as we usually prime our beer with
3/4 cup of dextose which is 7.5 ounces**edit
i am proceeding today and will update

** edit - my conversion is off 3/4 cup is usually regarded as 4 ounces

Hrm, interesting. I have a cider that I fermented with Ale yeast. I primed with the ole' standard 3/4 C corn sugar. I figured a moderate carbonation would be nice. Interestingly enough, the cider (last time I sampled) resembles champage with the fizzy bubbles.

Latest posts

Back