Another AG newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
Moving to AG after few PM batches. I think I will be well prepared after reading all the recent threads on new AG brewers. I tested the propane burner and tried the wort chiller for efficency and to assure it was leak free. My MLT is a 48qt cooler with the braided hose set up. Brewing an English ale with a OG of 1.049.
I would never have attempted this without all the info I picked up on this forum. You folks are all GREAT.
I will post back with my results.
Thanks

Awesome! Good luck!

After your first couple brews, you will realize how easy AG actually is.

Good luck man! I'll be jumping in the all grain pool myself in a couple months. Always nice to see another Rhody here

Is Woonsocket really in RI? LOL
Where do you shop for supplies?
Doing a brewbeque on Sat.

Today is brewday for my first All Grain. Sporting a brewbeque with my extract and partial mash friends. Wives will handle the barbeque while we brew beer. Weather 85 and sunny.
I will post some pictures and mash results.

Today is brewday for my first All Grain. Sporting a brewbeque with my extract and partial mash friends. Wives will handle the barbeque while we brew beer. Weather 85 and sunny.
I will post some pictures and mash results.

Sounds like a great day. Good luck:mug:

Well I think the process went very well. All the equipment worked without fault. SWMBO wanted to have me brew in the backyard which made some logistics more time consuming but I went from mash to pitch in 4.5 hours. Lots of cleanup and entertaining a bunch of people was daunting. Now some specifics.
Beersmith projected OG was 1.059 and I hit 1.051 but wound up with 5.5 gallons instead of 5. First running SG 1.059, forgot to do first sparge reading, but second sparge was 1.020. IC dropped wort to 64F in 35 minutes.
Here are some pics

chillin.jpg

SG First running.jpg

Vorlauf.jpg

Looks like you were brewing in the hen house from the last picture. :D

Sounds like your efficiency was good. You could try changing beersmith to a 5.5 gallon batch to figure it out. Sounds fun!

I live right up ye street. There is a a LHBS on Park Ave. called Blackstone Valley.
I went there once when he was supposed to be open, but he wasn't. Now I shop at Brewmasters.com or Beer-wine in Walpole. I don't like going to a place that is supposed to be open and isn't. tight schedule
Is Woonsocket really in RI? LOL
Where do you shop for supplies?
Doing a brewbeque on Sat.

I would give the Blackstone Valley Brew Shop another chance. That is where I get all my supplies. You have to call ahead to make sure that he is open though. Its a one man show and his hours due fluctuate but he usually changes his answering machine to reflect his current hours for the week. I go there because Steve is awesome. He knows his **** and he really took the time to help me out when I first started. Now its the only physical place I'll shop. Someone is always there with a couple fresh brewed beer sampling

So yea, give it another chance

I use Basement Brewhaus in Providence. It is around the corner from the State House and only 15 minutes from my house. Nice people with good knowledge. Fairly good grain/hop selection. Basement Brewhaus | Home
Just purchased my first order online from Brewmasters Warehouse. Fast service and good price. I am brewing on Saturday and will see how well the grain was milled.

Back