Did I overpitch my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toledoBrewer

Reaction score
Yesterday I started a batch of Irish Red Ale. About 45 minutes into my 90 minute boil I realized that I had not pulled my Wyeast 1084 out of the fridge and start it. So, I pulled it out and did the whole smack pack thing. As the fridge is around 40 degrees I was worried that I would not have enough viable yeast active for pitching. So, with about 30 minutes left in the boil, the telltale crackling in the Wyeast packet was not to be heard. I grabbed a packet of Nottingham dry yeast and rehydrated that. The airlock has started bubbling 10 hours after pitching, I have never had activity this quickly. The OG was 1.057 and I pitched at 67 degrees. Did I over pitch?

I know I need to watch the temp, I have a water bath ready for when it gets to 70.

Cheers!!!

did you pitch the Wyeast and the Notty? What was the batch size? Do you have manufacture dates on either yeast?

Did I over pitch?

I know I need to watch the temp, I have a water bath ready for when it gets to 70.

Cheers!!!

Even if you pitched both, that's not a serious overpitch since you didn't do a starter for the liquid yeast.

Since you have Nottingham in there, I'd do everything you can to keep it under 68*F.

Thanks for the advice.

did you pitch the Wyeast and the Notty? What was the batch size? Do you have manufacture dates on either yeast?

Yes, I pitched both the Wyeast and the Notty. I followed the instructions on the Notty with adding 4 oz. of water, let it sit for 15 minutes, then stir. The expiration date on the Notty was 7/2014, didn't see a manufacturers date. I can't remember the date on the Wyeast, but I do remember that it was pretty fresh.

Since you have Nottingham in there, I'd do everything you can to keep it under 68*F.

Thanks for the heads up. When it got to 69 I put it in the water bath. I'll make sure I keep a close eye on the thermometer and add ice if the temp creeps up.

Cheers!!!

Back