Fullers ESB GF Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamT

Reaction score
I am a total newbie, in fact I just bought my kit. I am a huge Fuller ESB fan and I would like to clone that but in a GF beer. I would appreciate any ideas on this!

Thanks!!

Hi mate,

I haven't done an english style beer yet but have been thinking about somethink like ESB for a while.

1st place to start is with the extract recipe here
http://***********/component/resource/article/2398-fuller-s-the-pride-of-london

Use the same hopping rates. Use a combination of sorghum syrup and rice malt. I'd also use half a pound of dark candy syrup and some lyle's golden syrup.

The malt flavour which is prominent in English beers will be a challenge. You'll probably want to read up on roasting oats and adding these to your beer. Please take note that 4 out of 5 Celiacs can tollerate oats which haven't been contaminated with Wheat. I recommend testing the oats by eating a small bowl's worth first to ensure you don't have a reaction.

Hope this gets you started.

I also HIGHLY recommend the addition of some buckwheat honey, which will contribute some residual sweetness that's appropriate for the style. Also, I heartily recommend Fermentis Safbrew S-33 as your choice of yeast. It can provide some nice bready notes that are quite good in a British style.

Back