Traveling With Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niederhofer

Reaction score
I plan on traveling by car with a keg to a Christmas party 5 hours away. The beer is currently in the secondary. I am planning to rack into a Corny, but I am unsure what I should do to keep from having too much sediment mixed into the beer when I arrive at the party.

Should I condition/cold crash in one keg, then move to another to try to reduce sediment? How long will it take to naturally fall out of the beer after the drive?

Also, I have a case of beer in bottles that I may take. Will they travel well warm, or should I chill them before travel?

I do not have a filtration system, and I am not really interested in filtering my beer, anyway. Any advice would be appreciated.

You can either move to another keg after chilling or just cold crash the secondary before you keg. Even then you'll probably have to let the keg sit for a while to get everything that got shook up settled out. If you bottled off the keg I'd keep them cold if they are bottle conditioned, I'd just leave the bottles warm until you get there then pop them in the fridge....I've found ,if your gentle, at least a day in the fridge will help them out.

What I did was just use my kegging system as normal. Once the beer is carbed up and clear, and the first cloudy pint was gone, I wanted about a week and then "jumped" into a new keg. It's super easy, and it left me with only clear beer in the new keg.

I sanitized the receiving keg, and put some co2 in there and purged. Then, I took a 3 foot beer line, and two black disconnects and connected that together. I hooked up one black QD on the "out" of the new keg, and one end on the old keg. Then, turned the gas on to push the beer from the first beer into the new keg. I pulled the pressure relief valve on the receiving keg a couple of times, to ensure that the pressure was lower in the new keg.

It took less than 10 minutes, and I can now take kegs anywhere without worrying about them getting all stirred up.

Latest posts

Back