No airlock bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronstar55

Reaction score
I just brewed my 3rd batch - all Brewers Best kits. This one is an IPA with Nottingham dry yeast.

The brewing instructions say to sprinkle the contents of the yeast packet over the wort. I did this on my first batch and everything was ok and tasted great, but with mild airlock bubbling for about 2 days.

The directions on the yeast packet say to suspend the yeast in warm water and let stand for 15 minutes. Then stir. Then avoid temperature shock by adding a little wort every 5 minutes until the wort is the yeast is the same temp as the wort.

I did the yeast suspension, but didnt mix it with a little wort every 5 minutes, because the wort had already been cooled per the previous step in the instructions.

Anyway, the airlock has not bubbled, and its now almost 48 hours after putting the lid on the fermenter. Is there anything I can do at this point to save this batch? or start over? Or maybe it will start bubbling?

Thanks!

Don't go by the bubbling of the airlock. The airlock is just a way to let CO2 pressure to escape, but if the lid isn't sealed completely, it may be getting out somewhere else. I'd say that the yeast is fine, and happily doing their job, you just provided an easier way for the CO2 pressure to get out than the airlock.

RDWHAHB:mug:

take the lid off and stir it around with a sanatized spoon. You can't always go by airlock activity as a sign of good fermentation. Sometimes the lid isn't on tight. Sometimes the gromet around the airlock isn't sealed good. After you stir it for a minute or 2, give it another couple of days and then use your hydrometer to check the gravity, it should be lower than the original gravity. The least likely cause is that you had some bad yeast but it does happen every now and then. Whatever you do, don't pour it out.

If I were you I'd take a gravity reading right away to see if you are where you were when you started. If you are, your yeast was bad. Others on here will recommend waiting 72 hours before doing anything about it, but it's in your interest to go ahead and find some fresh yeast to pitch in there ASAP. Even if it does take off, it will not be a healthy fermentation with this yeast if it hasn't done anything yet, and if it doesn't, every day that it sits without fermenting increases the chance of infection greatly.

Always keep around a few packets of yeast for occasions like this.

Back