Bottled beer has sediment on bottom, is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8upbrad

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch yesterday in 500 ml plastic bottles. It's been 24 hrs since. I just looked at the bottles and there is a white stuff on the bottom of each bottle. Is this normal?.. Will it go away?.. Is it sugar, and should I re-shake the bottles?. I did give the bottles a good shake after I primed and sealed them. Thanks

little bit of sugar, little bit of yeast sediment. perfectly normal. that's why we leave a bit on the bottom when we pour. let it carb up at room temp for a good 2-3 weeks or so, then chill it in a fridge for consumption. it'll all stay settled out in the bottom.

Going forward, shaking your bottles is never a good idea. It can lead to oxidation - with time, the beer in those bottles can start to taste like wet cardboard or, if you're lucky, sherry.

I put a tsp of sugar in the bottle, then siphoned the beer in, then screwed in the cap. I then shook the bottle to mix the sugar in the beer. Was I not supposed to shake the bottle at this point?. I hope I didn't mess them up, I just thought they needed to be mixed... Thx for the help guys

Some still add priming sugar to the bottle either in granular form,or carb drops. Batch priming is def better,as I found out myself. Make up a bottling bucket & heat 2C of water in a sauce pan. Then take the boiling water off the heat & add the weighed amount of priming sugar & stir ti dissolve. Cool & add to swirling beer while racking to the bottling bucket. Use this calculator to weigh the right amount of what kind of sugar to style; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Back