Beer cloudy and full of sediment - end of keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Well, Im afraid I may be coming to the end of my very first keg. Ive been trying to drink this beer like crazy cause I fear it has some off flavors that wont be doing the brew any favors.

When I first tapped this keg, the beer was rather hazy and had little bits of sediment floating in it. The beer eventually cleared nicely and was pretty to look at as well as drink as quickly as possible. After pulling a nice sized glass tonight, the beer looks almost exactly as it did when I first tapped it. Cloudy as all gitout and more sediment floating. This doesnt really bother me, but Im kind of curious to know if this is normal for kegged beer getting close to the end of the keg.
Thanks
-Me

Are you Using Corney's? Should Trim the Draw Tube take about 3/4" off the Bottom so you dont suck anything up that settles out! i used a Pipe Cutter to cut mine. Clear Frothiness every pour!

Depends on the yeast, how much you were able to get out before kegging, etc... I typically don't see this until the last couple pints or so.

Could be close to empty, you could pull the keg out and let it warm so you can see the condensation line on the keg and get an idea of how much is left.

My initial draw is hazy for about 1/2-1 pint, due to sediment and/or starsan in the lines. After that my beer has always been pretty darn clear and sediment free until the last pint or two before it sputters out. I do use a sure scree (stainless steel screen) when I push beer from primary/secondary fermentation keg to the serving one to cut back on sediment.

It always seems that the second to the last pint is by far the most beautiful, in my house! If you're pulling up sediment and yeast now, is it possible that the keg got bumped or moved? Usually, the very end is just a little bit of trub. The rest of the yeast stays put on the bottom.

I don't trim my diptubes, and my beer is perfectly clear, except for the first pint.

Meh, I did move the kegerator a couple of hours before to take a look at the gas gauge. I guess this may have stirred up a bit of sediment. Funny thing is, right after I posted this I went and pulled some more beer. This time it was clear, but still had some floaters in it. Either way it makes me sad because this keg is almost gone - forcing me to drink the other 'not so favorite' brews.
-Me

It always seems that the second to the last pint is by far the most beautiful, in my house! If you're pulling up sediment and yeast now, is it possible that the keg got bumped or moved? Usually, the very end is just a little bit of trub. The rest of the yeast stays put on the bottom.

I don't trim my diptubes, and my beer is perfectly clear, except for the first pint.

Same here. My last 4-5 pints are always beautifully clear. Only time clear beer is a bad sign.

Meh, I did move the kegerator a couple of hours before to take a look at the gas gauge. I guess this may have stirred up a bit of sediment. Funny thing is, right after I posted this I went and pulled some more beer. This time it was clear, but still had some floaters in it. Either way it makes me sad because this keg is almost gone - forcing me to drink the other 'not so favorite' brews.
-Me

Yep, moving it will do it! All the suspended particles from 5 gallons of beer dropped out, and now after moving it, you've got the same amount of particles and yeast floating around in 1 gallon, so you'll have what seems like a ton of stuff if you move the keg. It'll settle again, though!

Back