Dirty dozen primary tastes like clean abbaye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfolks

Reaction score
Did my first dirty dozen primary (5 gal of pilsner, Vienna, rye - 1.060 - did not add pure oxygen- fermented at 68 or so), just tasted a sample - tastes and smells exactly like a Belgian abbaye beer. Seriously no funk or Brett character whatsoever. It formed a pellicle, so I'm doubting it was a mislabeled bottle of yeast, but what the heck is going on here? I've done plenty of 100% brett beers, all of them tasted like Brett! Is dirty dozen just really clean? I thought it was supposed to bring da FUNK.

How long has it been fermenting? Maybe it will take awhile for the funk to show? I have a vial but have not used it yet. Curious to see what folks have to say.

It's been in primary for 6 weeks or so. Tastes mighty good actually, just not bretty

The couple times I've used DD, I haven't been terribly impressed. They came out pretty clean, even after 18 months or so.

Im about to brew a saison with ECY08 and Dirty Dozens, hopefully i don't get the same results you get. Was really hoping for a real funky saison. I plan on letting it go at least 6 months though if not longer

Sounds like co-pitching late with a phenolic strain or secondary might be the best application with this blend.

Second DD beer in the books (so 2nd generation for my little guys) and it tastes NOTHING like Brett. What the funk! This blend is super lame! Back to amalgamation!

DD funks up more in secondary. I've used it at least 20 times in primaries and secondary's. Its a pretty clean fermenting mixed culture when used in primary. That being said, if you give it more complex sugars and ferment it under pressure it'll express itself a little more on the funk side in primary.

Wyeast Brett b gives a really funky primary ferment after a couple months in bottle but generally I don't think you should expect funky beer from Brett primary.

I've also wondered if under pitching will make a funkier primary.

Yeast bay amalgamation is SUPER funky in primary, so it's definitely possible if you get the right blend.

Under pitching may cause it to express itself a little more on the funky side but it more has to do with the preferable esters that strain creates. So as you said it, definitely is possible it's just getting the right strains that will create those esters off of simple sugars.

just used DD as primary a few days ago and am making a starter with the little bit of brett left in the bottle after i dumped it in. the small starter definitely had some funk smell to it i just stepped it up to a bigger 2 liter last night. havent had the chance to check on the 5 gal yet will do this weekend though

I'm in Portland and Imperial Organic Yeast (located here) said they would analyze my DD for me. I'll let you know what they find

I'm about to go to Portland in a couple weeks I saw that they were there do they have any kind of beer tasting room or anything like that?

I also ment to say before I got distracted about Portland. I checked my stepped up starter and it doesn't have the funky smell it did when it was in the original bottle I'm thinking maybe it had to do with being pressurized in when it first started since I just added some wort to the bottle it came in and sealed it back up. Also that and the primary both took somewhere around 36 hrs to start which I've heard Brett can take some time to get started

No, Imperial is not open to the public and does not have a tasting room.

I didn't do a starter for my first batch and it took nearly a week to show signs of fermentation. Wasn't finished by week 3 either. But it will start and finish - eventually! 2nd batch finished by week 3 though

I used DD in primary in a blonde and it was very estery. Even at 18 months, it was still mostly fruit.

I used it at bottling in an ardennes pale ale and it was a mixture of bright fruit with a little barnyard underneath at a year old.

just took my first sample of this from primary last night after about 4 weeks it was at 1.008 and pretty plain. didnt really get any brett character hopefully it changes with some more age. so far not impressed it might do more if used as secondary yeast after a sach primary

Although I've had success with it in primary, common "Brett" flavors occurs from pre cursors of a previous fermentation. I find that DD gets real funky if you use a POF+ strain for primary first.

Going to use it in secondary in an American Saison. Sounds like this blend is pretty tame overall even w time.

I brewed a saison with DD last November. It was quite fruity after primary so I let it sit in a keg until last weekend. The fruitiness tamed down slightly, but there is no funk from the Brett. I decided to split the batch and add a boat load of citrus peel to half of it since that's the direction it wanted to go. The other half got some apricot puree.

Back