What is your house beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
Is there a beer that you constantly make so you will always have it on tap...or in bottles (for those that don't have a kegerator)?

I am still new but my second brew was an extract American Wheat all Citra hopped and it went quick so I converted it to AG and did it again for my 5th brew. I wanted to make something different but the wife likes it too so had to make it again. I'll probably try to keep it in stock. My first house brew.

I do a nut brown that I'm pretty happy with. I try to brew it once a month, and I'll be stepping up to 10 gallon batches on my next brew day-so I shouldn't have a problem keeping the brown on tap.

Check out EdWort's signature. He has several tried and true recipes. His Haus Pale Ale is great and enjoyed by everyone I've brewed it for!

It is usually CheshreCats Brown Biscuit or Centennial Pale Ale, but they are getting bypassed by Biermunchers Orange Kolsch. (I like the Brown Biscuit but all my drinking friends are demanding the Orange Kolsch)

I'm also way too new to have a housebrew yet, but I suspect it will be this Nutbrown I'm drinking now (my second brew). It's my favorite so far out of the three beers I've bottled so far. Although I have a feeling the Graff and Pumpkin Ale I have going will be seasonal favs.

I make a simple porter recipe. Occasionally I'll add something to it, like coffee or chocolate, just to spice things up a bit.

Mine I have to say is an triple layer Belgium from hearts.. It's what's on tap right now and can't seem to stop drinking it

So many good beers out there. It definitely is hard to pick one beer that you continually make over and over again. I like having a few choices and experimenting with different beers but it's nice to have one recipe that you perfected and can always go to for something easy.

I'm thinking about a blonde ale for easy drinking.

ESB

I've been brewing for 14 months. I think I'm up to around 35 batches and at least 25 of them have been ESB. The last 6 have been 10 gallon batches.

Still working on it. I've been tinkering with a Maris Otter lawnmower beer recipe for a while now with the fifth version in bottles now. One of these days the recipe will be perfect, but not there quite yet...

I'm just getting started and only have five batches under my belt, but I'm thinking that nutty brown ales will be my house beer as I'm getting ready for my second batch.

A Cream Ale with 2 -row, Vienna, Flaked Corn, & Flaked Barley. Hopped at 60 & 12 with Sterling. A nice tasty beer that the BMC crowd also likes

Wow, I must say that this is interesting to me. Pale Ale, Kolsch, and Pilsner seem to be a common theme in here. I would have to say that mine being an Imperial IPA is scary...

I have done a Cream Ale and a Pale ale and both were very good, but to me I want something a little more !@$%@#....I couldn't think of a word.

KoedBrew said:
Wow, I must say that this is interesting to me. Pale Ale, Kolsch, and Pilsner seem to be a common theme in here. I would have to say that mine being an Imperial IPA is scary...

I have done a Cream Ale and a Pale ale and both were very good, but to me I want something a little more !@$%@#....I couldn't think of a word.

Haha I know what you are saying. For my house beer, im looking for something that everyone can drink. I like to have people over and most of my friends don't like IPAs which ia why im leaning towards a less hopped pale ale, cream ale or blonde ale

I brew a lot and try a lot of different brews but I have a few that I always like to have in stock.

These are the three brews that I try to always have on hand.

An IPA using Amarillo and Citra
A Black IPA
A Belgian Wit

I also like to have a Saison around and some sort of Belgian.

I've yet to get around to repeating any yet. But after this EB freebee gets bottled in a couple days,I'm gunna make my Sunset Gold APA again. Def like that as my 1st house ale. I used Perle & Saaz in that one,instead of "C" hops. Smooth spice is nice in the amber orange ale.
I also figured out how to duplicate my "Summer Ale" with fresh LME (cooper's OS lager can base was 6/09). If that one comes out at least close to the original,I'll add that to the line up. Dito with this English bitter. I added Haulertau to it.

10 # of base malt
1 # of Carapils red malt
1 # of Crystal #60 malt
1 oz oc Centennial 60 min.
1 oz of Cascase for 15 min
0.5 oz of Cascade for 5 min.
1 Whirlfloc.
Safale 05
6 oz corn sugar

Both the wife and I love it.

I have played around with a brown ale and a porter that look like they could be good to have around also.

cheers, Mike

If I didn't have so much beer around the house that needed to be drunk I would probably have a house beer. It would probably be my gratzer or maybe my kolsch, since my wife really likes that.

I don't know, we're both too interested in beer variety to have the same beer all the time.

I'd have to say my all centennial IPA. We're still perfecting the recipe, but it's getting better n better (the first batch was great, but not perfect), I'm anxiously awaiting the results of the PM version I brewed ten days ago. Mmmmm, centennial hops!!

I just made BM's centennial blonde and I'm hoping that turns out great. Once I start cycling in batches that I've already made, I'm probably leaning towards a pale ale or a nice amber ale. Both are drinkable and my wife will drink them with me.

h22lude,

We're probably the only two on here from Rhody. Just wondering what LHBS you go to. There's not that many around here so I'm interested to know which ones you prefer. The two that I've been to haven't been great.

I've got a pale ale recipe that I've brewed about 7 or 8 times already (with small changes each time.) It never lasts long!

I try to keep 12 kinds available:cross: I do six gallon batches and bottle one gallon at minimum. I try to have in kegs at all times

ESB
Black IPA
Amber Ale
Imperial IPA
Rye Ale
Blonde Ale

I bottle and sometimes keg:

Hefeweizen (summer only kegging and replaces the Blonde)
Alt
Porter (winter kegging replacing Amber)
Stout
IPA
Specialty a 10.5% brew

I really need to move to 10 gallon batches cuz my brew schedule is going to be curtailed radically when "holy services for the church of St Vincent" begin on 9/8 and run for 16-18 weeks or more hopefully.....I will be done by 3:00 Central time most Sundays:D

There is always, and will always be, a simple Scottish ale available in my fridge. Love me some Scottish ale....

kyle6286 said:
h22lude,

We're probably the only two on here from Rhody. Just wondering what LHBS you go to. There's not that many around here so I'm interested to know which ones you prefer. The two that I've been to haven't been great.

I've only been to Blackstone Brewing Supply in Woonsocket. I really like that one. The owner is cool. They do a lot of kits. I know there is a small one in Providence but I haven't been there. My friend went to a hardware store that sells brewing stuff but I wasn't a fan of the kits.

chezhed said:
I try to keep 12 kinds available:cross: I do six gallon batches and bottle one gallon at minimum. I try to have in kegs at all times

ESB
Black IPA
Amber Ale
Imperial IPA
Rye Ale
Blonde Ale

I bottle and sometimes keg:

Hefeweizen (summer only kegging and replaces the Blonde)
Alt
Porter (winter kegging replacing Amber)
Stout
IPA
Specialty a 10.5% brew

I really need to move to 10 gallon batches cuz my brew schedule is going to be curtailed radically when "holy services for the church of St Vincent" begin on 9/8 and run for 16-18 weeks or more hopefully.....I will be done by 3:00 Central time most Sundays:D

I have 4 taps. I would like to keep 1 for stout, 2 for new beer and 1 for my house beer. I need more kegs though lol

h22lude said:
I've only been to Blackstone Brewing Supply in Woonsocket. I really like that one. The owner is cool. They do a lot of kits. I know there is a small one in Providence but I haven't been there. My friend went to a hardware store that sells brewing stuff but I wasn't a fan of the kits.

Oh yea, I've been there before. I remember them having a decent amount of supplies. I usually go to the one in Providence since it's the closest one.

kyle6286 said:
Oh yea, I've been there before. I remember them having a decent amount of supplies. I usually go to the one in Providence since it's the closest one.

BBS is 15 minutes from me so I don't mind the drive. I try to buy something from them once in a while. I like giving my money to the smaller local businesses over online companies. They will usually order anything for you if they don't have it in stock.

I wouldn't say I have a house beer, but the recipe that I get asked to make over and over again is a Kolsch with WLP029, Pilsen, Munich and Wheat. The kicker is that I use American Hops for FWH and late in the boil. Oh it's tasty.

I have one tap dedicated to sour or brett beers. I always have a stout or porter, and I try to keep a moderate ABV pale ale of some sort-ESB or rye usually. The other three taps can be absolutely anything.

There is just so many good beers, it is hard to decide what to brew lol I guess that is why some people have 16 taps on their kegerator.

Back