Liquid-Filled Copper Pipe for Tower Cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffmeh

Reaction score
I have read here about various DIY methods for cooling a tower on a kegerator, including computer fans in a project box with tubing blowing cold air up toward the top of the tower, and copper tubes containing the beer lines extended from the top of the tower down into the refrigerator itself. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/pvc-tower-cooling-solution-43072/

Elsewhere on the web I have read about taking a 1/2 inch copper tube, capping each end, drilling one cap for a self-tapping screw, and filling the tube with rubbing alcohol. The tube would then extend from near the top of the tower down into the refrigerator itself. The description even said to have the bottom touching a keg.

Obviously this is operating on the same thermal conduction principle as the method linked to above. Does anyone have any thoughts on pros and cons of the two methods? I would rather do something passive than implement the fan method, but I am open.

I was thinking about the copper tube solution, but adding a large sink to the cool end - like the housing of a motorcycle voltage regulator.

I do not think heat conduction is enough if you are just a few inches away from the kegerator.
(not much different from the beerlines themselves).

You probably need a fan (convection), or a loop in which you circulate a liquid from the kegarator to the tap and back.

walther,

Back