Honey Soda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
I would think somebody has done this long before I thought of it, but I'm curious to know if anybody has made a honey soda? Just honey & water, carbonated, any other additives like phosphoric acid maybe? I'd like to know how it turned out if anyone has made it.
Regards, GF.

Andrew Schloss has a honey soda recipe in his book, I think it's one of the few that has fermentation instructions. It has some spices in it IIRC.

Just had a thought about this soda last night and here I find myself.

Can anyone post a recipe?

We ended up with honey soda when our bochet failed to ferment well. It was absolutely delicious, so we bottled it and added a smidge of honey to carbonate it. We will be trying another bochet soon, but I'd definitely recommend going that route if you make a honey soda.

I think burning the honey brings out way more flavour than you get with just the honey alone, and love the richness of it. We just used a basic wine yeast (Lalvin but I don't remember specifically and am too lazy to dig through my notes) -- if doing it specifically as a soda, I would use just enough to get it to carbonate in the bottles and nothing more.

ok, I decided to dig up my notes:
Bochet 1) 04/18/15 OG 1.075
(http://www.gameofbrews.com/brewing-bouchet-burnt-honey-mead-1393/)
~2.5 lbs honey -- commercial wildflower honey, London Ale Yeast, distilled water, left out spices, 1 tsp yeast nutrient
brought honey to just the “toasted marshmallow” stage, not quite burnt. We aerated the mead day 2 as the distilled water was not letting fermentation really kick in.
06/21/15 fermentation super slow, but still going. gravity 1.06 sweet, slightly cinnamon/nutmeg flavor considering sparkling
06/27/15 added 2 oz honey and bottled

FTR, the distilled water was not my idea, we'd discussed it and my partner insisted on it, so I figured I would let him find out why it's not the best option

Back