Bottling a Belgian Strong Dark, Add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
Back in early April I made a huge Belgian Strong, finished at about 14%abv.

I have been bulk aging it in a glass carboy since then and I am thinking about bottling it soon.

I used WLP500 for the brew which from what I hear stands up to high alcohol fairly well.

I was thinking of possibly bottling with champagne yeast but to do this do you need to use the large cage bottles? That is fine however drinking 750ml of that strong of a beer in one sitting is probably not the greatest idea along with the fact that most competitions don't allow large format bottles to be entered.

Do you think I should even bother with the champagne yeast? If I prime a bit with the yeast in the beer will it eventually carb up?

It will eventually..... eventually carb up. Thats a very high alc brew, so you just need to be patient. Check the guides as to how much priming sugar you need. If you want to enter a few bottles, then bottle up a 6er of it in 12oz bottles and the rest in bombers.

Back