Yeast Date Mr. Matly Pitch Rate Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone, yesterday I decided to brew a Belgian Wheat. However, my smack pack was dated about 7 months ago so I made a small starter. From the starter I plan on making another 2000ml starter. Can I adjust Mr.Malty's pitch rate calculator as basically today's date since the yeast reproduced and proceed from there? Has the viability date been increased because of the small starter?

Hey everyone, yesterday I decided to brew a Belgian Wheat. However, my smack pack was dated about 7 months ago so I made a small starter. From the starter I plan on making another 2000ml starter. Can I adjust Mr.Malty's pitch rate calculator as basically today's date since the yeast reproduced and proceed from there? Has the viability date been increased because of the small starter?

The idea of the viability date is to adjust yeast cell count for die off. So, a fresh smack pack has about 100billion cells. I just looked at the calculator and it is saying you should have about 10% of those viable. So, you're starting with 10billion cells.

Mr Malty will tell you the approximate number of cells you should pitch for a particular gravity beer. For a 1.050 beer, it says about 175billion cells (Note: most people generally say that you can direct pitch 1 pack for a 1.050 beer with good aeration, so YMMV)

The best bet is to take that 10billion cell starting point and use a yeast growth chart to figure out what you've got. The viability question isn't in question anymore but I haven't found MrMalty usable as the sole resource when you're doing a stepped starter. The yeast growth/starter charts are good because they work on the (# starting cells) vs (# liters of starter) = (# final cells). You can go from there then.

Jaz

The idea of the viability date is to adjust yeast cell count for die off. So, a fresh smack pack has about 100billion cells. I just looked at the calculator and it is saying you should have about 10% of those viable. So, you're starting with 10billion cells.

Mr Malty will tell you the approximate number of cells you should pitch for a particular gravity beer. For a 1.050 beer, it says about 175billion cells (Note: most people generally say that you can direct pitch 1 pack for a 1.050 beer with good aeration, so YMMV)

The best bet is to take that 10billion cell starting point and use a yeast growth chart to figure out what you've got. The viability question isn't in question anymore but I haven't found MrMalty usable as the sole resource when you're doing a stepped starter. The yeast growth/starter charts are good because they work on the (# starting cells) vs (# liters of starter) = (# final cells). You can go from there then.

Jaz

Any good links available?

Back