One of the Last standing in Detroit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSUFlyer

Reaction score
HI....
As stated in the title I'm a new brewer from the Detroit metro area. I've had a few friends who have been doing this for a while, and finally broke down and bought myself a kit. Had the kit for less than 24 hours and I've already got my first batch in initial fermentation! I'm a huge blue moon fan.....that's what i told the brew store i wanted to start off with. They hooked me up with what looks like a popular recipe that I've found on here. In a couple weeks I'll give it a judge and compare my recipe with it and comment on the thread.

Ready for my beer already!
Ryan

Another one from Michigan?

Geez, don't those guys have anything better to do than brew beer?

;)

Pull up a stool and drink your sorrows away. Michigan Mashers group is about the best thing Michigan has going for it these days.

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm getting the brew bug pretty bad....my first batch has only been brewing for 5 days and I can't wait to transfer it to secondary so i can brew a second batch and start primary! I think I might even be purchasing another set of glass carboys....because I can WATCH my beer! and so i can get two-four batches going at a time. If it stays inexpensive....this might get more attention than my dirt bike!

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm getting the brew bug pretty bad....my first batch has only been brewing for 5 days and I can't wait to transfer it to secondary so i can brew a second batch and start primary! I think I might even be purchasing another set of glass carboys....because I can WATCH my beer! and so i can get two-four batches going at a time. If it stays inexpensive....this might get more attention than my dirt bike!

your doing a witbeer??(blue moon clone??)

I would just leave it in primary for 2 weeks take a gravity reading to make sure you hit your FG and then bottle........ no need for secondary :)

It has really slowed down in the bubbling today.....today is day 7....what about moving it to my bottling bucket and let it sit another week? I ended up picking up a glass carboy....so if i transfered.....i'd be able to start two more batches!

LOL leave it alone for another week and start another batch in your new carboy :)

Trust us young grasshopper patience patience :)

Its my opinion that most beers dont need a secondary.... your just risking contamination

my recipe says to let them sit in the bottles for 21+ days....with this style beer will it get significantly better the longer it sits?

my recipe says to let them sit in the bottles for 21+ days....with this style beer will it get significantly better the longer it sits?

You may notice an improvement in a couple of weeks, but this style ought to be drank young. It should be gone well before it goes bad though. Trust me.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees is to get it to carb and it will get better through those weeks. After it is carbonated it should be ready to drink (it's a wheat beer after all). It won't go downhill fast though. I imagine it will still be at it's peak for a couple months.

Do wheat beers have a problem in kegs? I'm thinking of getting a Co2 keg setup for my second batch that will brew tonight and ferment in a couple weeks. It's another wheat....raspberry honey wheat.

I would be force carbing it....just wondered how long it will be good in a keg. If it doesn't stay good in bottles for long i would think it would be the same in a keg.....

That's a good point....once i have beer of my own circulating....it probably won't sit long. I plan to brew a new batch every two weeks till I can't bottle/keg anymore.....I have an extra fridge that will probably be converted into a 4 spot "kegerator". I could fit 4 5 gallon korny kegs in the frig section, and plumb them into the the freezer and into taps on the freezer door. I can't wait!

Latest posts

Back