14 day brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
I was reading a thread yesterday Yuri's thread entitled "Aging beer: Facts, myths, and discussion" and many people were mentioning recipies that they were calling 14 day brews or something along those lines. I gathered they went from brew to bottle to stomach in roughly 14 days. Instantly I realized this would be a great thing since I've been on empty in terms of HB for a while and have replenished with several brews that call for a decent conditioning period.

I went on a search through the boards to try and find these 14 dayers but to no avail. I was wondering if anyone had any recipes they'd be inclined to share? I know wheat beers generally have a quick turn around, but are there any others out there that you'd recommend?

thanks in advance for any advice / input etc.

We just did the 10der and mild swap- 10 days from grain to glass. A British mild is great for early drinking. (I've had the flu, though, and haven't yet sampled my milds from Zymurgrafi).

I don't like wheats so hefes are out for me. But I like the mild a lot.

The biggest key to 14 day brew is a keg to force carb in. Without a kegging system (meaning bottle conditioning) the quickest I'd say you could have a quickie brew is 5-6weeks.
Otherwise I've been able to get some simple recipies to my glass via kegging in 14 days. Things like English Ordinary bitters, and EdWorts Haus Ale, or BierMunchers Centannial Blonde can all be consumed quickly, and even some SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop) types.
In my opinion some points to consider for a quickie brew are:
Simple grain bill (3 different malts or less).
Keep OG below 1.055 and ABV at 5% or less.
Pitch a proper ammount of yeast.
Keep the beer balanced (ie not too Hoppy or too malty).

Yeah I'm looking into kegging. But 5 to 6 weeks is still pretty decent since lately i've been doing roughly 10 days in the primary 14 or more in secondary (depending on my schedule and when i'll have time to bottle) then priming / conditioning for at lease 5 if not 6. so depending on how my schedule works I won't have a brew ready for almost two months if not more. My latest brew was my imperial stout that the recipe recommends a minimum of three months in the bottle before sampling.

thanks for the suggestions I will most definitely look into them.

You might also want to take a look at BYO's Speed Brewing article for more tips and recipes for quick turnaround beers.

Take care,
Chad

hefeweizens are good for quick turnaround. the recipe in my dropdown can be fermented for 10 days, bottled and conditioned for 7 days. If the bottles are kept above 70 degrees it should be mostly carbonated at that time and is very good. the secret to the quick bottle carbonation is that a lot of the hefe yeast is still in suspension at 10 days of fermentation so it can act quickly on the bottle carb sugars.

milds, hefeweizens, breakfast stouts.

small beers, too...i often make those from my third runnings (parti-gyle) and drink them within a few days.

just about any normal sized beer could be finished in a week with filtering ;)

Anything without big complex flavors (Blond Ale anyone) or high alcohol content (Blond Ale perhaps) can be bottled after a two week primary.

The MO/Vanguard Blond SMaSH I did would have been just dandy after 3 weeks in the bottle. It was very drinkable after 2 weeks of primary and 1 in the keg. Came into its own after 4 weeks from brewday.

Latest posts

Back