Ever heard of quince wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleycat50

Reaction score
I have a garden in my yard with quince bush(tree shrub whatever it is). It has a small apple like fruit on it. It is very sour. I was thinking of makeing a wine with it but the only wine that I have made is with kits.

Is there any ideas.

Also, has anyone ever seen quince. The bush looks like pics that I have seen, but I am wondering if the fruit is the same. I have read that the fruit on them is usually flat like a doughnut, mine is round like an apple.

The quince is an extremely fragrant round fruit, not unlike an apple or an orange in shape.

It has an extremely astringent and sour taste, and for years it's usually only been used to make jelly.

You probably would want to mix it with something for a bit more flavor, and use gelatin and maybe some of the other products which reduce astringency.

An old neighbor told us years and years ago, "The Polish girls used to put quinces in the drawers where they kept their underwear. The fragrance would drive the guys wild!"

Never tried that.

Back