Double pitching a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I have an OLD tube of White labs yeast. "Use by Feb 2009".

I was thinking of just dumping it in with my new tube for the starter but then I felt this might not be the best use.

If the yeast is dead maybe adding it to the boil would be better as it would act as a wonderful yeast nutrient.

I heard on an interview by the woman who wrote "Sectrets of the Breweries" (or somethign like that that many breweries do not use a yeast nutrient but just add yeast to boils instead.

Comments?

Whats the best use of an old tube.

Personally, I would try to make a starter out of it. Make it about a week before your brew day, it may take awhile for it to wake up.

I have stored some washed yeast in my fridge for several months and have not had any issues with it waking back up and making a healthy starter.

Worst case scenario, its dead and doesnt make a starter. Then you can just use your idea of adding it to the boil for yeast nutrient

Yea - I have washed yeast and used it 8 months later but I have two of this strain - maybe I'll just use the old one - see what happens might be the idea. Add nutrient to the starter. Must be ONE of them little guys still alive. It's all I need LOL

There should be millions of viable cells in the old vial if you've kept it cool. I'd just give the starter an extra day to grow.

I would make a small starter to proof it. If it takes off, put it into a bigger starter and away you go. If not, nothing lost. I have used boiled water and brown sugar just to see if the yeast is alive.

David :)

Back