What are you "unlearning" for the good of brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
You know what they say, the brain has a limited capacity. One day you might learn a simple factoid like Glen Close is actually a woman, then you forget how to blow your nose in order to make room for the new information.

Today I found out that, after reading a ton of old posts in this forum in order to learn about brewing, I forgot how to speak French!! I was actually quite pleased about that! Having lived there 4 years and struggling with the language on a daily basis. (Languages were never my strong point) I felt very grateful that I could not remember that "Framboises" were raspberries, and not strawberries. After thinking on it a little more, I then realised I could not recall the French word for strawberries either!! GO ME!!!:ban:

I am assuming that my sudden lack of understanding basic French means, that while perusing this site I learned at least TWO pieces of brewing related information that my clever little brain has decided are more important than a French shopping list! GO BRAIN!!! :ban:

Hold on, maybe it's just old timer's disease setting in. :(

Have you unlearned anything today for the sake of beer perfection? :mug:

I have unlearned how to be selfish with beer.

When i was buying cheap BMC it was rare that there would be a whole lot of shareage.

Now it seems I almost get offended if people do not at least try my beer. And if they have 2 or 5 or 10 pints them I am happy.

Damn, is this why I can't recall vocabulary words? :D I have a sort-of encyclopedic mind in a way and whenever a topic comes up (that I enjoy and know) I usually start on some long explanation or rant on said subject. I was thinking that the acquisition of brewing knowledge may have pushed out some vocabulary into the nether regions of my mind. :D Ya know?

Was this inspired by the Simpsons?
"Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Like that time I took that home wine making course and I forgot how to drive" - Homer Simpson "That's because you were drunk!" - Marge

Today I found out that, after reading a ton of old posts in this forum in order to learn about brewing, I forgot how to speak French!! I was actually quite pleased about that! Having lived there 4 years and struggling with the language on a daily basis. (Languages were never my strong point) I felt very grateful that I could not remember that "Framboises" were raspberries, and not strawberries. After thinking on it a little more, I then realised I could not recall the French word for strawberries either!! GO ME!!!:ban:
I am assuming that my sudden lack of understanding basic French means, that while perusing this site I learned at least TWO pieces of brewing related information that my clever little brain has decided are more important than a French shopping list! GO BRAIN!!! :ban:

Merde... ça se peux-tu. Tu aurais pu oublier d'autres choses à la place. Comme ça, tu pourrais au moins comprendre un peu de ce que je viens d'écrire!
Mais, bon! Au moins moi j'ai pas de chances de perdre mon français! Par contre, mon Espagnol commence à me quitter lentement.
Donc... :mug: Santé, quand même!

I then realised I could not recall the French word for strawberries either!! GO ME!!!:ban:

(ok here it goes...)
Le mot pour "strawberry" a francais est 'fraise." j'ai pondu je peut...

damnit im awful now... dyslexia made learning french the hardest task in school that I ever attempted, I took it pass fail in HS and just barely passed. (RPI still accepted me so who cares?)

My brain is like a sponge for most things I get interested in, and I usually toss something i dont care about (english literature, intro to ASL, US government, how to play the recorder...) Theres also the fact that im probably a BIT younger than most of the members of this board, so my noggin might be a little fresher (no offense)

I've unlearned how to be a productive member of society! I trawl HBT all day while lying on the sofa... :D

I always try to do that, but then my eyes start to hurt and i cant look at the screen any more.:(

Back