Twisted Tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammer

Reaction score
Any one had twisted tea before? Its a malt beverage that has almost no sweetness and is tea flavored. No carbonation either. I would like to make a clone for a friend that doesnt drink beer. heres what i am thinking.

Make some tea in a carboy ~ 5 gallons. I am thinking either Sun tea or cold brewed. (not boiled)
Using that 5 gallons for the mash out water and sparge water. That way im not concentrating the flavor and i wont water it down too much.

all pils mash to 1.040-1.045

Do a 20 or so minute boil to get a hot break. No hops. maybe some lemon zest in the boil at 5 minutes?

Let it ferment on a neutral yeast strain (US-56). Then put it into a keg and bottle using a counter pressure filler. That way there wont be as much oxygenation and i wont be carbontaing it.

any one have any advice? any ideas? i looked on the website and there is literally no information on it. if you have any info, let me know.

thanks!!

advice- use aged hops. These provide the preservative effects of hops without any bitterness. See www.morehops.com for more info.

Next, maybe try some rice solids? Those are known to add very little in the way of body to a beer.

Next, mash at a low temp to maximize fermentables with only the slightest effect on taste.

What I do for those poor souls that enjoy iced tea flavored malt liquor is make some really good iced tea, add some lemon, lime and/or orange slices and a touch of sugar and then pour in the appropriate amount of vodka that matches their desire to get hammered. A nice sangria is also usually enjoyed by all involved.

Yea, i thought about the mixed drink approach. Kinda ends up with a different taste. I could i suppose. But if im mixing drinks then i can do better than spiked iced tea i would think......

Part of it is the novelty and thought that would go into it anyways.

jammer said:
Yea, i thought about the mixed drink approach. Kinda ends up with a different taste. I could i suppose. But if im mixing drinks then i can do better than spiked iced tea i would think......

Part of it is the novelty and thought that would go into it anyways.

When it comes to those "malternative" malt liquor based beverages, you are already behind the 8 ball there...

Yeah, tell me about it, the stuff is just not good. I dont know why you wouldnt either drink vodka or iced tea.

oh well, to each his own. Many find the funkiest lambics not so good so who am i to judge.

Back