High Temp Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillyP

Reaction score
So I was showing a friend how to do a partial, while I was trying to brew all grain at the same time. I was distracted and screwed up on my strike temp. So I doughed in at an excessively high temp (278-282F). I was doing a session ale (I've been designing a Pale Ale for a comp so I've been try low malt combo hop/yeast/salts). The OG was 1.043(expected 1.056) and I used WL001 to ferment.Had a starter (72hr on a stirplate) and I piched it and fermentation slowed down after 3 days. I know that it'll be rather malty so I was planing to split it into 2x5gal carboys and adding either 2lbs each malt extract(diluted in 1gal) to each or doing a mini-mash and adding it back in the secondary. I was thinking of blending is back when I keg it and bottling the excess. Does anyone have a past experience or any tips to my mess up? I'll post an FG in a couple of days. :tank:

So I doughed in at an excessively high temp (278-282F).

Not unless you heated the water in a serious pressure cooker LOL

I would guess you meant 178-182F. Now is that dough in, or where your mash settled at once stirred? If that is your mash temp then you prob extracted a few undesirred tannins. If you are trying to craft a recipe for competition I would not split this batch and try to modify it because you likely have some off flavors from tannins in the beer that is now fermenting.
It will be drinkable, but may not be the best base to play with trying to find a competition recipe.

Doh!! Yeah. I meant the 178-182F. It settled in at 175F when I got it down by stirring it. Know I realize this batch is pretty much screwed. The reason to split it was to add in some more fermentables (Extract) and because it's over 5 gallons I was going to split it into 2 x 5 gal carboys for the head room. Any problems with this?

I wuold ferment what you have and start again. It may be good. If its not, then why mess with it?

The next batch will be better.

David

Back