Kolsch Commercial Varieties?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I have a kolsch lager that's been in bottles for about 2 weeks. I have never to my knowledge tried a commericially brewed kolsch. Anyone know of any brands that are imported to the U.S.? I would like to try some to see how mine compares.

I'm not too sure about imported varieties, but Shiner Kolsch has started showing up around here, although it seems odd since winter is beginning. Maybe they shifted all the stock that didn't sell in the summer to my region!

best luck would be to try local brewpubs, in milwuakee theres gotta be someone who makes a kolsch, although it might be out of season

That largely depends on who you ask. The definition of the style is not quite that geographic, according to some sources, and has more to do with ingredients and process than location.

kornkob said:
That largely depends on who you ask. The definition of the style is not quite that geographic, according to some sources, and has more to do with ingredients and process than location.

Talk to the brew guild in Koln and you'll get quite a different story... :D

I've been to the town of Budweis many times and their beer is nothing like the King of Advertising, I mean Beers.

kornkob said:

Kölsch is actually a registered trade mark for beers (of that style) brewed in and around Koeln (Cologne). All other beers can only be called Kölsch style. I'm not sure if the omission of the "ö" or "oe" makes it a diffrent name. Otherwise Shiner would not be able to call theirs Kolsch. Maybe the german trademark laws don't seem to matter here.

Kai said:
Kölsch is actually a registered trade mark for beers (of that style) brewed in and around Koeln (Cologne). All other beers can only be called Kölsch style. I'm not sure if the omission of the "ö" or "oe" makes it a diffrent name. Otherwise Shiner would not be able to call theirs Kolsch. Maybe the german trademark laws don't seem to matter here.
I'm sure the lawyers are in there somewhere...

I think the Germans would have to KNOW about the existance of the product and find the Americans in violation of international trademark laws much like we do for pirated software in China.

I don't think spelling counts here. How many people know the German alphabet and all its other symbols? It's probably more about what's understood; i.e., o, oe, ö, etc., and the intent of the violator.

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kölsch_(beer)

Around thirty breweries produce Kölsch in and around Cologne, the most important ones being Dom, Früh, Gaffel, Gilden, Reissdorf and Sion and the trend is towards consolidation. Kölsch is the only beer that may not be brewed outside the Cologne region, as determined by the Kölsch convention of 1986. There is a grandfather clause for a few breweries in the larger area, for example in Bonn, that were already established in 1986. However, many brands are illegally brewed abroad on a small scale - especially in the US and Japan.
Everybody's right!

homebrewer_99 said:
Good research, but what part of: "...many brands are illegally brewed abroad on a small scale - especially in the US and Japan..." is RIGHT?
That Kolsch beers are brewed, albeit illegally in Germany's opinion, in other areas? If the semantics set you off, count me out of any intellectual discussion on the use of the word. I'm just here for the beer.

much like the alt from Dusseldorf. not really brewed outside the city/region, right????
Pyramid Curveball is a Kolsch "style". pretty good. i like Shiner's Summer Stock and Saint Arnold's Fancy Lawnmower too. nice after a hot day of whackin' weeds and cuttin' grass in SETX.......

Latest posts

Back