water profile for well water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
Any suggestions on getting or creating a water profile on a well?

Send a water sample to Ward Labs and they will give you a breakdown of what is in your water. Adjust from there to fit the beer you are brewing.

Read www.howtobrew.com on water chemistry and residual alkalinity.

Unfortunately, there are no real answers until you do the analysis of the water.

You can use the 5.2pH buffer in the mean time.

Also keep in mind that your water profile may change seasonally, as temperature changes also lead to solubility changes and, possibly, to changes in the source for your water table.

TL

jdoiv said:
Send a water sample to Ward Labs and they will give you a breakdown of what is in your water.

I did this and was very happy with them. http://www.wardlab.com You want the "W-6 Household Mineral Test". That will give you all the brewing-related parameters. It's only $16.50. You can just rinse out an 8-12 oz. empty water bottle (since you're not testing for coliform), fill it with your water and put it in the mail with a completed Sampling Sheet from their website.

Does it make any more sense to have samples from water that went through the softener, straight from the well, and/or through a prefilter? Then I could compare and see which was the best to use.

Maybe the softened water is out-right bad to use for lack of calcium/magnesium and increased Na, put perhaps straight from well and sediment pre-filtered water?

nathan said:
Does it make any more sense to have samples from water that went through the softener, straight from the well, and/or through a prefilter? Then I could compare and see which was the best to use.

Maybe the softened water is out-right bad to use for lack of calcium/magnesium and increased Na, put perhaps straight from well and sediment pre-filtered water?

From what I've heard, using softened water is bad for brewing. If your water is very hard, I would send it to the lab without going through the softener. Then you'll know your base water profile and can make calculations to dilute with distilled water, etc., if necessary, for brewing.

Back