Need advice on RIMS build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tularac

Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers.

I am stepping up my build to include a RIMS system.

I have all my fittings ordered and the ULWD SS heating element.
What i need help with is the Probe and temp controller choosing as i am not really sure what i am looking at.

I have been looking at the AGPtek® Universal Digital PID Temperature Controller since i like that it reads current temp and set temp.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MMOEWY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A1BREQ8I6OHSBG

But i am not sure what probe i should get for it.
I want the probe to either screw into my 1-1/4 x 1/2 bushing or slide into a thermowell that does.

Can you help me find what i am looking for? And or suggest a better budget priced controller and probe?

Last edited by a moderator:
it would help to see the RIMS system you are aiming to use.
I believe it is usually suggested to put the temp sensor close to the RIMS tube, output side. Im not familiar with that particular brand of pid so I couldnt comment on specifics.
From what i've read, the easiest sensors to use are the PT100 RTD sensors. Usually very accurate, and can be found installed in a 1/2" NPT fitting commonly used. There are less expensive methods, many have tried them, most end up going that route after frusterating brew days.

F1F0B2HHT29ICIS.MEDIUM.jpg

This is what i am modeling after.

Found the probe thank you.

Does anyone have a good wiring diagram for a rims system? I would like to make sure i order all the right electrical parts.
Single chugger pump and a 120v SS water heater element

Kal from electric brewery is the go to guy. Explore the site, absorb what u can.

Hello fellow homebrewers.

I am stepping up my build to include a RIMS system.

I have all my fittings ordered and the ULWD SS heating element.
What i need help with is the Probe and temp controller choosing as i am not really sure what i am looking at.

I have been looking at the AGPtek® Universal Digital PID Temperature Controller since i like that it reads current temp and set temp.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MMOEWY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A1BREQ8I6OHSBG

But i am not sure what probe i should get for it.
I want the probe to either screw into my 1-1/4 x 1/2 bushing or slide into a thermowell that does.

Can you help me find what i am looking for? And or suggest a better budget priced controller and probe?

That is really a mypin ta4 temp controller that is sometimes sold under that apgtek name although you can clearly see they dont even change the labeling... Anyway, that is the RNR model..you cant use it. You need the ta4-SNR model for driving an SSR the ta4 SNR is a perfect choice for controlling rims temps... I use the almost identical td4 myself which has a manual pwm mode. they make a dual alarm mode one which I use that triggers an alarm if my rims temp falls either below or above a certain range. The Manual pwm on the TD4 is usless for rims control but needed for good boil control on a BK) a pr100 /rtd probe is ideal.

If you do a search in the electric brewing section for "PJ's wiring diagrams" you may find a good wiring schematic although the numbered terminals for your pid will be different (easy to sort out though)

Good luck on your build!

Last edited by a moderator:
The electrics etc are basically the same. Using PIDs to control temperatures.

Found the probe thank you.

Does anyone have a good wiring diagram for a rims system? I would like to make sure i order all the right electrical parts.
Single chugger pump and a 120v SS water heater element

Here is a P-J original that has been floating around. Might fit your needs.

120v 2000 Single Element Single Pump Single PID EStop.jpg

Back