Beersmith Not Giving Me Correct OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figgy15

Reaction score
Hello all.

First of I want to say I LOVE BEERSMITH! Now to my issue lol. I manually added a recipe that I got from Homebrew Association Site that had a OG of 1.100 (Wee Heavy). In Beersmith, the OG is coming out as 1.117???!!! I added the same ingredients and amount as found on the site. Is there a bug or am I doing something wrong when it comes to my settings. I really appreciate anyone's help. Thank you.

Efficiency.

Check what BS has vs what AHA says (probably 65%)

If you get better efficiency, keep that amount in BS & lower the amounts of base grain

Efficiency.

Check what BS has vs what AHA says (probably 65%)

If you get better efficiency, keep that amount in BS & lower the amounts of base grain

So there's no mention of the efficiency on AHA. I brought the efficiency down to 64% to get the right OG of 1.100. The ABV is about 1 point higher still but that's cool.

So it's not that app then? Just a case of the brewer having a low efficiency?

Yes there's nothing wrong with BS. The only issue I have with it is that it's a little disorganized and hard to find all the different volumes to enter (grain absorption, boil off rate, trub loss, fermenter loss, etc) and some of those would also make a big difference in your gravity. 65% efficiency is also fairly typical of a beer that big. It goes down pretty drastically as the gravity goes up.

Yes there's nothing wrong with BS. The only issue I have with it is that it's a little disorganized and hard to find all the different volumes to enter (grain absorption, boil off rate, trub loss, fermenter loss, etc) and some of those would also make a big difference in your gravity. 65% efficiency is also fairly typical of a beer that big. It goes down pretty drastically as the gravity goes up.

Great information. Really appreciate the answers homebrewers. Have a great holiday season!

Latest posts

Back