Falconer's Flight DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCBIV

Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought 6oz of Falconer's Flight hops just for fun a couple weeks ago. I figured I'd take a shot at making a partial mash DIPA with just FF hops.

Here's the recipe. I'm going for more of an aroma/flavor DIPA vs. a bitter DIPA.

Let me know what you think about it, if I should make changes, etc. I'm still learning BeerSmith, so if something looks funky, please let me know.

Any recommendations are certainly welcome:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.50 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.13 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 8.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 94.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 53.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
2.00 oz Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 36.3 IBUs
5 lbs Light Dry Extract [Boil for 20 min](8.0 Dry Extract 4 38.5 %
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 5.5 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 3.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 1.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

The only comment I would make is about mash efficiency in Beersmith - I see yours is reading 94%. Beersmith 2 is a bit funny in that you can't directly modify the estimated mash efficiency number, which is actually what I find easier to use than total brewhouse efficiency when calculating recipes and monitoring my brewday. So I prefer to set my trub loss in the equipment section to zero and then just add the expected loss to my batch volume instead. Doing this artificially makes the mash efficiency and total efficiency the same (unless you are adding any fermentables after the boil to the fermenter).

The thread below explains it better, especially the third post by @chiller, where there is a pdf attached. It discusses the two ways to set it up, and you can decide for yourself.

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5140.0.html#new

Oh by the way, I like the recipe :)

The only comment I would make is about mash efficiency in Beersmith - I see yours is reading 94%. Beersmith 2 is a bit funny in that you can't directly modify the mash efficiency number, which is actually what I find easier to use than total brewhouse efficiency when calculating recipes and monitoring my brewday. So I prefer to set my trub loss in the equipment section to zero and then just add the expected loss to my batch volume instead. Doing this artificially makes the mash efficiency and total efficiency the same (unless you are adding any fermentables after the boil to the fermenter).

The thread below explains it better, especially the third post by @chiller, where there is a pdf attached. It discusses the two ways to set it up, and you can decide for yourself.

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5140.0.html#new

Oh by the way, I like the recipe :)

I thought that was a bit funky, too. I'll give the link a look. Thanks!

Not sure if your grain bill can hold that hop schedule... Maybe bump up the grains, looks like an ipa and not a dipa

Latest posts

Back