Keggle conversion: Drilling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
So I'm conveting a Keg to Kettle...

I have a 50L beer keg with the top cut off in a nice perfect circle.

I have ordered a weldless sight glass and thermometer (from Bobby_m) and weldless fittings (from bargainfittings). One thing I haven't been able to find out is tips on drilling through stainless. Should I just buy a 1/2" titanium drill bit and giver? Any tips with drilling to install these fittings would be appriciated

i have two tips.
#1 use a step bit. any other bit won't give you a good hole, it will most likely be catywampus if you use a "regular" bit.

#2 don't put a hole anywhere near the hole in the skirting of the keg. heat will escape from under the keg while it's on the burner, through this hole, and heat up whatever valve, thermometer, etc. you have near it, and could prematurely damage the o rings, etc.

other than that, do a search, and you'll find plenty of other advice. it's not hard though.

If you plan on using a diptube with the fitting, make sure it is where you want it prior to drilling. :) GL Bro!

It's pretty easy, I just used a hole saw made for cutting metal. I also used plenty of lubricant throughout the cutting process, which will keep your drill bit from getting dull. The spray-on Pam works pretty good...and also smells like french fries when the metal starts to heat up. :D

Latest posts

Back