Dunkel Recipe Advice Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigB

Reaction score
This is my first stab at creating a recipe. I kind of put this together from many different recipes and added a little bit of my own ideas... Any thoughts, advice, critiques?

Recipe: Uncle Dunkel
Brewer: Brian
Asst Brewer:
Style: Dunkelweizen
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 20.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 19.05 %
1.00 lb Pilsen Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 12.70 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.40 %
2.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.40 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.35 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 6.35 %
0.38 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (30 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.38 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 6.72 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F

First thing is it took me a minute to realize it's a Dunkelweizen.

That being said, start by doing away with the Pilsner DME and just bump up the wheat DME. Wheat extract is already cut with barley and using a Pilsner extract will dilute your wheat percentage.

If you want to do a partial mash do equal parts wheat and munich.

You can use some crystal malt, maybe .75#. Maybe a blend of crystal 80 and Special B.

Chocolate malt I would cut in half. Dunkelweizen is not really roasty but I like a little in mine.

For hops I'd just do a 60 minute addition with the Mt. Hood. I've tried later additions but with the 3068 yeast it just gets lost.

That being said, start by doing away with the Pilsner DME and just bump up the wheat DME. Wheat extract is already cut with barley and using a Pilsner extract will dilute your wheat percentage.

I wasn't sure about the makeup of the wheat DME. I knew the LME was roughly 60/40 so thats why I went with DME. I definitely did not want to cut the wheat, so I cut the pilsner DME and bumped up the wheat DME like you suggested.

Chocolate malt I would cut in half. Dunkelweizen is not really roasty but I like a little in mine.

I wouldn't think that such a small amount of Chocolate Wheat Malt would add so much roastiness. Hmm. I'll ponder this one.
EDIT: I just read on NB that Weyermann recommends no more than 1-5% for a dunkel. I am at 6.3% currently. So I will take your advice and cut the amount in half.

For hops I'd just do a 60 minute addition with the Mt. Hood. I've tried later additions but with the 3068 yeast it just gets lost.

Dunkelweizens should only contain nobel hops.

I was unsure about the EKG. As far as noble hops goes, Mt. Hood is a substitute for Hallertauer. But I like Hallertauer and regardless I will have to buy some, so I just switched the recipe out to one 60 minute addition of 1.25oz Hallertauer (3.8%). Brought the bitterness down a little bit which I was thinking about doing anyways. I tend to like beers that are on the lower end of bitterness for any particular BJCP style.

Thanks guys for the advice!

I wouldn't think that such a small amount of Chocolate Wheat Malt would add so much roastiness. Hmm. I'll ponder this one.

Roastiness is "inappropriate" for the style. Using some darker crystal will help get the color and the appropriate flavor. A small amount (2%) of something like Carafa Special can be added for color with minimal flavor.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to sub in some chocolate for the Carafa Special, just not a half pound. That will put you about 5% for a 5 gallon batch. Now I have made something I guess you could call a Porterweizen, for lack of a better term, with a healthy dose of chocolate and some other inappropriate ingredients and really liked it.

Back