First Gluten free Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
3.3 lb sorghum extract
4 lb rice syrup solids
17oz Raw Honey
1 lb candi sugar
4 oz Maltodextrin
1 oz centinell @ 60 min
1 oz centinell @ 20 min
1 oz centinell @ 10 min
1 oz centinell @ 5 min
yeast nutrient & irish moss
safbrew T-58

I did a full boil starting with 6 1/2 gal of water at about 180 degrees I added 2 lbls of rice syrup solids 2 lbs at 30 mn added the other 2 lbs rice solids the honey and the candi sugar 20 min left I added the Maltodextrin and the sorghum extract.
This is my first attempt at Gluten Free I promised my daughter I would make it for her and I am wondering if I should have done anything different being I never used MD or rice syrup or sorghum it smelled very different from the all grain IPA I brewed just before this and I am curious as what this will turn out like. I plan on leaving it in the primary 4 weeks then bottle condition for 3 weeks do I add priming sugar like a regular batch? my O.G. was 1.070.

I brewed this beer on 11/25 and pitched 1.5 packs of T-58 seemed like a normal fermentation until 2 days a go when the airlock kicked in again pretty steady so I popped the top of the pail and took a hydro sample it was 1.020 the temp in the room has been consitant with no real fluctuations this is my first gluten free beer and no experiance with sorghum this is what it looks like 3 weeks later what do you think.....!
IMG_0647.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks good. Draw off a sample and see how it tastes. I expect with T-58 you'll be able to get down around 1010 or lower.

It's nothing for my beers to take twice the length of time of normal beer, some times more.

/unrelated

I love centennial. Made an ipa with it and it tasted great. Although IPA's aren't for everyone.

Looks good. Draw off a sample and see how it tastes. I expect with T-58 you'll be able to get down around 1010 or lower.

It's nothing for my beers to take twice the length of time of normal beer, some times more.

This is what I was wondering Ill let it sit a couple of weeks more and see where its at. I tasted the sample and it tasted ok but was a little lighter in color than I expected is this normal for sorghum?

This is what I was wondering Ill let it sit a couple of weeks more and see where its at. I tasted the sample and it tasted ok but was a little lighter in color than I expected is this normal for sorghum?

Definitely. Every beer I make comes out light gold in colour, unless I use dark candy sugar to modify it.

What temperature are you fermenting at?

This has been fermenting between 60 and 64 degrees for the last 3 weeks the room ambient temp is about 60 degrees. Is the anything I can do to darken it up at this point? Or is it live and learn.

Hi Bubba,

Maybe try 68 degrees next time, it shouldn't be too warm for off flavours and speed up the fermentation a bit.

You could add more candy syrup but that will make the fermentation take longer again. And you run the risk of infection.

I recommend getting another fermenter and doing another batch :D

Latest posts

Back