K Sorbate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
have a cider that I rushed for a party. no ferment issues finishend 100% dry and clear but no time for a malo ferment so it's a touch harsh...... thought I wold over come it with a bit of back sweetening. I gave it 24 oz of concentrate for a 5gal batch and improved it a bit but not a lot. I added the K sorbate and concentrate the same day. The package of sorbate says to add it 5 days prior. I added 2.5 tsp for the batch. I'm thinking I didn't add enough (shy by 1.25 tsp acording to the package). I am wondering if I make up the difference and add a bit more concentrate what could I expect if I plan to serve on saturday?

I don't see why not. Just follow the directions on the package and be sure to add sulfites which will help the sorbate do it's thing. You may need to add extra concentrate to make up for some loss while the sorbate does it's thing.

If the sorbate was added at the same time, and in an inadequate amount, probably the sorbate was/is ineffective.

Fermentation should restart if the cider is above fridge temps.

Back