Malty Hoppy Extract IPA Recipe Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david58

Reaction score
I've just completed bottling my fourth batch, and still my tastebuds harken back to the Williams Triple Hopped Ale that was my first batch. It had a nice hop level, with a nice malty finish. I am an extract brewer, and would appreciate anybody's suggestion for a recipe for a hoppy, malty, pale ale.

Thanks in advance

5 Gal Batch

7 lbs Amber extract
8 oz Crystal 60L
1/2 oz Chocolate Crystal
1 oz Cascade at 60 min
1 oz Cascade at 5 min
1 oz Cascade Dry Hop
(optional 1 teaspoon Irish Moss)
Nottingham or other British ale yeast

OG 1.053
Bitterness 32 IBU
color 14 SRM
estimate ABV 5%

Start with 6-6.5 gal of water.Steep crystal grains in 155 F water for 30 min. I usually just throw the crystal in a muslin bag when I'm heating the water, once the water starts to boil I remove the bag.
Throw in your Amber Extract and after the boil foams from the extract throw in the first ounce of Cascade. RDWHAHB and wait for the next hop addition (5 min til end of boil).
Cool wort and rack into fermenter. Ferment for about one week. When primary is complete, rack into secondary and dry hop with last ounce on Cascade. Secondary for another week. Bottle as usual and enjoy a nice hoppy APA. I brewed this and compared it to an APA that a local (successful) brew pub's APA and it was dead on. I found this to be good and malty and the hops didn't over take the malty goodness. Very refreshing.

Latest posts

Back