Cleaning Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_B

Reaction score
Hello all, just finished my first homebrew and it came out pretty good and I've got the second one in the primary. I cleaned my bottles for their first use really well, and sanitized of course, and when I am through with them I rinse them out really well with hot water and check for any residues. I'll then cover them up with aluminum until they're ready to be used again. I know I've got to sanitize them, but do they need to be cleaned again with soap (I think I have the oxygen based soap) before sanitizing?

I don't. Just make sure that they are clean (sight check) and sanitize them. I have a bottle blaster that I use before sanitizing just to be sure everything is out of there, you may want one, they are great!

Hello all, just finished my first homebrew and it came out pretty good and I've got the second one in the primary. I cleaned my bottles for their first use really well, and sanitized of course, and when I am through with them I rinse them out really well with hot water and check for any residues. I'll then cover them up with aluminum until they're ready to be used again. I know I've got to sanitize them, but do they need to be cleaned again with soap (I think I have the oxygen based soap) before sanitizing?

I don't and haven't had any problems. I just make sure and rinse really well and then put them away. I don't cover them either, just put them in one of my boxes until I need them.

Dan

I just rinse the out well after I empty them, and put them away till the next use. I dont bother covering them, I want all that water in there to dry out so I dont have to worry about scrubbing mold or anything nasty like that out before I use them again.

When I am ready to refill them, I give them a good quick rinse with plain old hot water before I sanitize, then get to work fillin 'em up!

Cool, thanks for the really fast replies! I'll keep doing that then and I'll keep covering them up too just in case. Thanks again.

I don't. Just make sure that they are clean (sight check) and sanitize them. I have a bottle blaster that I use before sanitizing just to be sure everything is out of there, you may want one, they are great!

Ditto. After use I rinse them out and put them away open in their cases. Then before bottling I give them a good shot with the bottle blaster and a couple pumps with the vinator and then onto the bottle tree.

I just rinse the out well after I empty them, and put them away till the next use. I dont bother covering them, I want all that water in there to dry out so I dont have to worry about scrubbing mold or anything nasty like that out before I use them again.

When I am ready to refill them, I give them a good quick rinse with plain old hot water before I sanitize, then get to work fillin 'em up!

I usually drain them for a few minutes before covering them, but still doesn't get all of the water out. I didn't think of it growing mold or anything in there, but you're right....I think I'll start leaving them uncovered.

I rinse all bottles after use, put them aside, and then blast them inside and high pressure spray them outside. I then use Starsan to sanitize.

I rinse and put them away.

On bottling day, I hit each one with a jet washer on the porch then use the vinator sprayer to sanitize.

After using, I rinse with hot water, maybe a bottle blast if it's hooked up. I then just store them on my bottle tree. When I'm ready to bottle, I put them in the dishwasher and run Light Wash > Sanitize with no soap. That blasts them with 190* water to sanitize instead of chemicals.

Been doing this for a year with no problems.

Back