Pitching or Fermentation Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowrd

Reaction score
I am brewing an English Brown Ale and after 15 hours there are no signs of fermentation. No bubbles in the air lock and nothing on the surface of the wart. I pitched the liquid yeast at about 68 degrees and immediately placed the fermenter in my 63 degree basement (Fermenter is off the floor). The sticky thermometer on the side of the fermenter read 68 degrees at the 15 hour mark. I brought the fermenter back upstairs and bathed it in slightly warm water and it reached about 78 degrees. 5 hours later, still at 78 degrees and upstairs, is began to bubble a little and fermentation started. I let it continue for a little while and placed it back in the basement.

From my past experiences within 12 hours I was bubbling away.

Did I pitch to cold?

Is the fermentation temperature to cold (room temp)?

Or did I not wait long enough?

Feedback would be great. Thanks

English Brown Ale (from Brewer's Best kit)

Malt Extract Amber (Muntons) – 3.3lbs
Crushed Crystal 60L Malt (8 oz)
Plain Amber Dry Malt Extract (2lbs)
Willamette Hops (Bittering, 1 oz.)
Willamette Hops (Finishing, ½ oz)
Yeast – Burton Ale Yeast (WLP023) Liquid; www.whitelabs.com

you just had a longer lag time than usual.was it liquid or dry yeast? did you use a starter?

i don't think there was a problem. some people experience lag times of 3 days or more. 20 hours is not at all uncommon.

your link shows a temp range of 68-73 degrees so a 63 basement may be a touch cool.but since it has started bubbling you should be fine did you make a starter? how did you aerate?
24-36 hours for ferment is not uncommon without a starter.
the only time i pitched a liquid yeast without a starter i was 36 hours for ferment to start and this was room tep of around 70.
since you say ferment has started -relax - a cooler ferment usually results in better beer-less fusels.

I used liquid yeast and did not use a starter. I mixed well but did not necessarily aerate.

You mentioned "your link shows a temp range of 68-73 degrees so a 63 basement may be a touch cool".

Is that temp range for pitching and enabling fermentation to begin. In other words once fermentation has started would my basement temperature be to cold.

Will a low temperatures stop fermentation once it has started?

that is the "optimum fermentation temperature" which will give the best flavors, in their opinion.

most ale yeasts will do fine over 60 F. Although they may take longer to finish, it would not stop unless you didn't have enough viable yeast.

IMO that basement temp will make some great beer...i keep most of my beers around 65 whenever possible.

Your basement temperature is fine, better a little too cool than too hot. I like to pitch at the high end of the scale and then cool the fermenter a bit once the ferment gets started. Get a cardboard box large enough to put over the fermenter and cover the fermenter if the temperature gets too low.

I'd say your lack of a starter caused lag time, coupled with slightly cool pitching temps. It would've taken off if you had simply relaxed and done nothing.

The hardest thing to learn in this hobby: patience

Back