Backsweeten - Sugar / Honey / ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeebas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to make a show mead with blueberry blossom honey. I had 12 lbs of it and pitched Lalvin 71B-1122 back on 11/8. I had wanted to keep it sweet (was planning on stopping fermentation - with potassium sorbate and campden tablets - between 1.010 and 1.020) but dropped the ball - it is now down to 1.000. So I was planning on backsweetening - I read somewhere that .5 lbs of honey per gallon will raise the gravity around 16 points.

My question is that if I want to showcase the blueberry blossom honey and can't get a hold of any more of it, what would serve as a "flavor neutral sweetener" (raise the gravity but still highlight the original honey) better - more commonly available honey like clover OR sugar (and what kind and what amount)?

Thanks for the time

I am trying to make a show mead with blueberry blossom honey. I had 12 lbs of it and pitched Lalvin 71B-1122 back on 11/8. I had wanted to keep it sweet (was planning on stopping fermentation - with potassium sorbate and campden tablets - between 1.010 and 1.020) but dropped the ball - it is now down to 1.000. So I was planning on backsweetening - I read somewhere that .5 lbs of honey per gallon will raise the gravity around 16 points.

My question is that if I want to showcase the blueberry blossom honey and can't get a hold of any more of it, what would serve as a "flavor neutral sweetener" (raise the gravity but still highlight the original honey) better - more commonly available honey like clover OR sugar (and what kind and what amount)?

Thanks for the time

Honestly, I am not sure of anything that is a "flavor neutral sweetener". Since you are making a mead, I would think a light flavored honey would be the best for this situation. I would think clover would be your best bet, but I am interested to hear what others would say.

If there is any way to get more blueberry blossom honey, I would do that. Even if it is from another source, it should still be closer in flavor then a different type of honey.

Good luck, I hope that helps!

Back